Materialistic

I can't lie I have a lot of designer handbags. I was thinking about saving the ones I dont use for my daughter to have. Is that a bad idea? I dont want to make her materialistic. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it would be an AWESOME idea... but wait till she's TRULY ready for them .... kinda like heirloom jewlery but its purses.

No I don't think that alone would make her materialistic... its a process too... nothing wrong with like the best in somethings as long as the Label is not the most important thing, but just fun icing.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It depends on how old your daughter is, my girls are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 buy the time they start carrying purses my designer bags might be out of style. I say it depends on her age, of course fashion comes around, the gross 80's are back for 2010 so who knows!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 8:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• lol the ones I have are classics. Louis Vuitton never goes out of style. thx though!
    Anonymous

• I would put one or two special ones up for her. My dad gave me a Louis Vuitton purse and I love it bc it's from him (he's dead now). I'm not a materialistic person but I value what he gave me.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• to really know if your child is going to be materialistic is to look at yourself. Are you? If yes - then so she will be too. She will look at you to set the example. Or perhaps in most areas you are not but have a passion for purses. Then she just might too or perhaps she will love shoes, or make-up, or...whatever. Even the most non materialistic individuals I know have at least one passion or weakness.  I would however not let a little girl play or have my very expensive hand bags.  I think I would wait until such a time where she can truly appreciate the luxuryof those items.  13 is always a good age to start with a first collecters item.  I have a bag from the 1920's that is from sacs fith avenue worth several thousand dollars.  You can bet all your bags no child will get their hands on that goody bag.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I am not materialistic but I do like nice things and I am into fashion. I still put makeup on everyday and fix my hair lol. She will follow in my footsteps in a good way. Since I had her I hardly shop for myself and I learned to appreciate the clothe that I have.
    Anonymous