Do you try to spend $ equally on each child, or do you spend based on age? As in the oldest gets more expensive items.

peace1234

Asked by peace1234 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• I try to spend equally. Why should my oldest get something expensive and the younger ones get cheaper items just because of birth order? What I do find is that as the kids get older they appreciate getting one more expensive item and a few less expensive as opposed to when they were younger and preferred to get more less expensive gifts. So while I may spend more on one item for my older boys, I just end up buying the younger one a couple more smaller items.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• How old are they?

My kids were 8 years apart and that is quite an age gap with different likes.
    Anonymous

• i try to spnd equally...as well as the same # of items....i only have 1 child but we have a total of 5....the oldest is 6, 5, 4, 3, and 3...so they are still in the "he got more presents than i did" stage. but it always works out :-)
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• whoops, i should clarify....there are 5 kids in our familis that we buy for, only one is ours
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My mom and dad always did equal.. of course i was 4 years younger then my sister so it always looked like i had waaaay more presents, but really hers were just more expensive... my mom to THIS DAY keeps it even with us.. its funny we get the same thing just in different colors.. she says she wants to be "fair" lol.. so when we open gifts if we open something different at the same time i will look at her and go " oh look i got a candle.. Amanda, your gonna get a candle!" and she always does too! lol its soo funny.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• This year, we've got a toddler and a baby. We spent more on the toddler because he's old enough to understand what presents are, whereas the baby will just be concerned with having something to put in her mouth, and she won't care what it is, much less how much it cost. In the future, though, we'll keep it even, no doubt in money as well as amount of gifts since they're so close in age.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• We get the same number of presents and shoot for an equal "wow" factor instead of equal $$$. Depending on the kid's interests, you may be able to "wow" one kid for a lot cheaper than another kid. As long as everyone is thrilled on Christmas morning, I think it is fair.
    Elizabeth4980

Answer by Elizabeth4980 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Mine get the same number of presents, but their cost may vary greatly. They don't care about the cost as long as they are getting what they want. We take turns opening gifts on Christmas morning so if one of them was to run out before the others, it would not be a fun thing for them. This year they are each getting about 7 or 8 presents, which is a cut back from last year but that is because my boys want more expensive things. DD is always cheaper, she's a 5 year old girl and would be so happy with a $10 baby doll, while DS want xbox 360 and aggressive inline skates lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Same $, same #. This year they all got one "big" gift, they cost within $3 of each other, and they all have the same # of little stocking-stuffer type gifts.
    Anonymous

• We try and keep the numbers close to the same but we also want to make sure they have what they have asked for or at least one of the things they asked for LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2009