Is buying a used carseat unsafe?

I bought a car seat off of craigslist and now im having doubts on ots safety

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, just do research on it to check for recalls and make sure if it is old that it is still up to date. Also make sure all of the parts are there.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would never buy a used carseat.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion I wouldnt buy a used carseat. Wal Mart sells them for cheap. I'd get a new one.
    Anonymous

• Yes because once a carseat is in an accident it does not meet safety standards any longer. You cannot be sure if it was in an accident an you are putting your most precious cargo in it. If you have a carseat that was in an accident you are suppose to buy a new one too.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• The biggest problem with buying a used carseat is that you don't know if it has ever been in an accident that may have compromised its ability to protect your child if you are ever in an accident. Some types of structural stress are not always visible to the naked eye and the carseat could fail right at the moment that you need it.

Carseats also have expiration dates, which are not always printed on the seat, so before you buy, you should check with the maker to find out if the seat has expired. They expire because they are mostly made of plastic and plastic will fail over time due to exposure to cold & heat as well as simple age.
    Anonymous

• Recalls and expiration dates are very easy to check on any given carseat. But when a carseat is involved in an accident, it can weaken the frame, even if there's no visible damage, making it potentially very dangerous if you were to be involved in another accident with your child in that seat. When you buy a used seat without knowing its history, that's what you're risking. It's one thing to get it from a trusted and well-known friend or family member where you know without a doubt that that particular seat has never been in a crash, but it's something else entirely to take the word of a stranger on-line. Chances are, if they said the seat's never been in an accident, they're telling the truth, but that's not a chance I, personally, would want to take.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Not something I would ever do. They can tell you anything about that car seat and you really don't know the truth. Toss it and get a new one.
    Anonymous

• I would only use a used carseat if it came from someone I know and trust and knew without a shadow of a doubt that the carseat hadn't been in the car during an accident.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Absolutely unsafe....I've seen hundreds of carseats sold on places like ebay and craigslist that are recalled, expired.....not to mention you don't know if they've been in an accident or whether the straps were properly cared for and not submerged in water. You can not tell visually if a seat is safe....there could be internal damage that could kill your child in an accident. Sadly people just can't be trusted and do not care about selling an unsafe product....i've run into my fair share of those....or they just don't know.
    mama2mycuties

Answer by mama2mycuties at 11:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2009