Should I be afraid of my dog being around my baby?

My dog is very dominate and gets very jealous if we pet the other 2 dogs and tries pushing them out of the way. I have a baby on the way, should I be afraid of him being around the baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only you can make that call. and personally i would not even own a dog if i had to worry about this.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yes... i love my dog to death but when i have a baby i will ALWAYS keep an eye on them. animals are just that.. animals, and sometimes they are unpredictable!!
    Good luck!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• outstandinglove then i guess you either 1) have no kids or 2) have no dogs.? because you have to somewhat worry about ALL dogs around kids.. kids are bossy and sometimes dogs can be too.. even the nicest dogs.
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• If I had a really dominant dog, I would definitely be concerned about the safety of my baby. Especially since your dog takes liberties like pushing the other dogs out of the way - obviously the dog does not see you as pack leader if the dog thinks it should boss the other dogs around and quite possibly bosses you around. Your more submissive dogs will still need to be watched around the baby, but I personally would not keep a dominant dog around my child if I was not viewed as pack leader by that dog.

Even if the dog views you as an equal, that is still bad. You need to either A. consult a dog psychologist to get dominance over your dog and thus be able to transfer dominance to your baby or B. get rid of your dog
    Anonymous

• Simply put: I'd worry about anything, especially with teeth, around my baby. Although I'd established myself as Alpha Bitch when I had dogs, I'd still rather be safe than sorry.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• P.S. If you get rid of this dog, be CAREFUL that your more "submissive" dogs do not suddenly start vieing for alpha bitch.

If they do - whichever one wins - make sure the one that wins is --YOU-- and not one of them or you will have the same problem all over again.
    Anonymous

• wow dog psychologist? do they need a certification??
    Anyway do they dominate you or the other dogs? Does it bite? Any dog should NEVER be left a lone with a small child EVER.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My dog never bites, he play bites (he will put his mouth around my hand but never bits down) and he only pushes the dogs out of the way never me. and i dnt plan on leaving my baby with the dog alone, he just is hyper and likes to be the center of attention
    dani_c

Answer by dani_c at 9:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2009