Toy ideas for toddler and his pregnant tired momma...

Hello ladies. My son is 19 months old, he recently has started playing with legos and I'm looking for other ideas similar to legos, to help him with his motor skills. He is a VERY busy boy, so any ideas to keep him still for even a few minutes would be a blessing to this pregnant and exhausted momma!
Merry Christmas and thanks so much for your time!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 9:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Awwwww... Playdoh, as long as you know he won't put it in his mouth, crayons, markers, big sheets of paper, or one of those huge coloring books... Hot wheels, or geotrax, anything with wheels that he can play with inside. An easel and a smock, ours love to color, paint, draw, and it keeps them occupied for a longtime. Hope I helped...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• puzzles.
    Lincoln logs
    magnet toys ...although you'd have to check the age request for that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• As a pp said crayons and markers. They have some for 18 months+ that make it easier for their little hands to grasp onto. I'm not sure if he's too old, but my son has these stacking cups that he absolutely loves. He plays with those all the time. Maybe a toy dump truck -- they have some where blocks come with them.
    Anonymous

• Playschool Busy Ball popper. My son got one w hen he was one an still plays with it (he is 2 now). It is annoying- but it will keep him entertained for 10-30 minutes at a pop. It is awesome. Also, an elmo ball pit (or whatever kind). They cost about $30 and come with 100 balls (I have 90 stored in a hidden place). My son acts like this is his 'nest' I can just sit in there and he will toss a bunch of toys into the top hole... this can go on for close to an hour if I work hard at it. I am 28 weeks pregnant- sitting anywhere for a few minutes knowing that my son isn't getting into trouble is a relief.
    Also, puppets. If you can teach him how to get his little hands into one he will get a big kick out of it. My son also enjoys when I make funny noises with the puppets.
    Wooden blocks are also a big hit in our house. And a table to build legos on. Merry Christmas!!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Some great ideas, thanks so much! I will give them a try. We have playdough and crayons, but he has not taken much of an interest in them yet.
    Thanks again, I appreciate your time!
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 8:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2009