I cant believe this! What would you do?

Ok, I'm forwarning you that this is somewhat gross

I delivered my sweety 5 weeks ago.
I have been having the normal discharge, first blood then a brownish discharge BUT there has been an odor which bothered me. I called my doctor and spoke to the nurse. She described symptoms of an infection which I didnt have so we left it at that and kept my scheduled 6 week post partum appointment for this Friday.

Today, when I was going to the bathroom, I felt something coming out of my vagina. It was a gauze pad that the doctor who delivered my baby had packed in there after delivery and didnt take out. I wont described what it looked and smelled like (sorry ladies) after FIVE WEEKS but it wasn't pleasant.

This is probobly where the odor was coming from all these weeks. I have my appointment on Friday but want to call the doctor tomorrow to let her know even tho she isnt the one who delivered my baby.
What would you do?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why on earth would the stick gauze up there in the first place!? Interfering fools. I'd raise hell.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would call my dr tonight. Usually gauze left behind leads to some pretty nasty infections. It's best if that kind of thing gets caught early.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I would be pissed! There's no way that can be safe and obviously wasn't sanitary if it smelled. I agree with pp it could cause infection and I would be on the phone right now letting someone know I wasn't happy, and making sure I was fine.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• OMG!! Oh I would call right away and have them put you on antibiotics and also do an ultrasound or something to makesure they didn't leave anything else in there!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree totally with AmiJanell. I would also contact the State Licensing Board and report the Obstetrician.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• call your dr tonight that is bullshit sorry I would also talk to a lawyer about this and sue if you get an infection because they went through medical school and should know better then to do something like that !!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree the doctors were very careless there in their part. But you must also realize that they are very busy they have other babies to deliver as well. I would call and tell them what you have discovered though. and go get checked out to make sure everything is okay. with you and there is no problems.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It happens more often than you would think, you do need to call your OB, you will need anti-biotics
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I hope you kept the gauze just in case this leads to something. Call the doctor asap and get in to be seen because something like this could cause a serious infection among other things. Do not wait to be seen!!

Incarnita there is NEVER an excuse for leaving such things in a patient. It doesn't matter how busy the doctor is that is completely unacceptable!! It is a malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen, ask any reputable doctor. When one is a doctor mistakes just can't happen because they can lead to some serious problems for the patient and possibly death so any mistakes are looked at as completely unacceptable!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• incarnita maybe if the didn't do unecessary things such as shoving gauze up vaginas when it isn't needed they wouldn't be so busy to remember to remove it?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2009