burping a bf baby

Do you burp a baby after he/she has been breastfeed? If so, should he/she always burp or are they more "burpie" if they are bottlefeed? I'm trying to burp my nb after bf'ing and it seems impossible most of the time. Any suggestions?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 10:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first never burped. I stopped trying after a week or two and he never had any problems. Try for 30 seconds or so and if nothing, don't worry about it.

Now, my second had to be burped every single time or he would spit up... rather, spit up more. He spit up either way, but less after burping.

Many breastfed babies don't need to burp... the great majority, if I were to guess. They don't take in any air, so there's nothing that needs to come out! My second was a preemie and didn't have a perfect suction while nursing until 6+ months, so that was why he would need to burp, but most don't need to.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Don't give up! If you don't work to get a burp out they'll scream in pain from that gas bubble later - been there done that too many times - and it could also make them vomit - been there done that too. IMO they are harder to burp if they are bf, but if you try different positions you'll find out what works. It also helped to burp halfway through a feeding, same as a bottle baby.
    Anonymous

• I agree...try different positions. True they don't build up as much gas with breast. But there is still some so you'll want to be sure it is out.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My mother had me tip my baby down and bring them back up again, gently of course, to get the bubble moving. My daughter is breast feeding her baby right now and she burps hard sometimes. To the point where milk comes back up and it is a mess. Keep trying, otherwise like the others said, you are in for a terrible tummy ache.
    Anonymous

• My DD hardly ever burped. When they're breast fed they arent sucking in all that air which is a major cause of gas.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It depends. They definitely need to be burped more when they are bottle fed. I almost never burped my breastfed babies in the middle of the night when we were nursing lying down. If you don't burp your baby and they are fine, then there is your answer! You will find what works best for you and your baby.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• My daughter doesn't burp all that often, either. I'll try for 30-60 seconds and if I don't get a burp, I don't keep trying. She does seem to spit up a bit more when she doesn't burp, but it's not that bad. I just keep a bib on her for spit up.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I did, mine were gulpers! lol
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• When babies are breastfed sometimes they don't need to burp because they don't swallow as much air as a bottlefed baby. That being said, my son had to get burped EVERY time, even though he was exclusively breastfed, or he'd burp up milk. Some babies just eat a little more energetically and manage to swallow air.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009