sahm for 7 years, no education. How to find good job?

I'm not talking about customer service, not that cs isn't a good job, I mean career. I want a career without going to school. ANy great advice or ideas much appreciated.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• You can search for jobs that match your skillset and have a telecommute or remote option. Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com . Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• you have a lot of education in the child raring field, start your own day care! you pick the hours and it's close lol. it's your time and money, you just have to make sure to pay taxes. or start working in a day care, most will hire sahm's to get started and they'll teach you stuff you didn't know.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I started waiting tables when my ex and I separated - I had been a SAHM for 8 years at that point. Within a year they asked me to go into the management training program, the salaries for assistant managers starts in the low 40K's and General Managers can make upwards of 80K or more. I did it and managed the restaurant for a while until I remarried and had a new LO. It's kind of a customer service job and you have to start at the bottom, but it's decent money.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I make extra money working online. I've cleared over 14k in the last year, it's not a way to get rich, but you can avoid retail/fast food jobs by doing it. You can see what I'm doing at http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/ if you're interested. (Everything posted is free)

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Are you looking to find a good job NOW or in a few years? Are you just in the planning stages?

I am a SAHM, but I do the finances for a local nonprofit. It's volunteer, but it's such a big job, I can put it on my resume. Because it is volunteer, I have a lot more flexibility. It only takes about 5 or 6 hours a week.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• The only career I know of that doesn't require a formal education is Sales. With sales it is all about the results. I'm not necessarily talking about sales to the public, Business to business sales is a great place to earn a 6 figure income without a BA. But plenty of people also do well in real estate etc. It is all about listening and solving problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I don't know if you have considered working at home at all. I work at home with a 5 year old in school, a 2 year old at home with me and one on the way. There are no parties, no stocking of inventory, no MLM! I would love to get you more information and answer all your questions. My website is www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. Hope we can talk soon! Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2009