my 5 year old daughter still wets the bed , is that normal ? and how do i get her to stop?

she has been wearing big girl panties since jan09 but still has to wear a pull up at night. any suggestions ?

love_mygirls

Asked by love_mygirls at 11:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has issues with that when he goes through a growth spurt. He's wet the bed maybe 3 times this year. I wake him up before we go to bed, so he can pee.
    Anonymous

• most kids outgrow bed wetting unless they have a physical problem or where traumatized in any way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Take her out of the pull-ups. They are inhibiting to potty training because they give children mixed messages. Am I in a diaper or underwear? Can I pee in these or not? If she can hold it during the day, she can hold it at night. Take the pull-ups off and get a waterproof mattress cover instead.
    Anonymous

• My daughter will wet the bed occasionally if she's really tired. She just sleeps too hard, and doesn't wake up when she gets the signal that she needs to go.

I agree that you need to get rid of the pull-ups and get a mattress cover. (If you can't afford a regular mattress cover, a plastic shower curtain from a dollar store under her sheet will work just as good!) Get some extra fitted sheets, too, for the nights she has accidents.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You also could try praising her with something when she does make it through the night. Something to encourage her. My DD used to wet the bed a lot, but I started by waking her up before I went to bed and I would set my alarm for about 330 am and wake her up to pee then as well. And as soon as I wake her up in the morning she is to go to the bathroom. I had positive rewards for when she did well. Eventually she caught on to the routine, She goes to the bathroom before bed and we always here the toilet flush between 330 and 4 am which is awesome. Also try cutting drinks out after a certain time. My daughter gets no liquids after 730 pm.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2009