would u have a child to save a child?

my 8 yr old has leukemia and will almost definantly need a bone marrow transplant but we also have to option of using cord blood instead and im not talking like the moviie my sisters keeper. not a genetic match just for the cord blood which is pretty much a match right off.my husband and i and our other three kids were not a match for marrow so if we go that route it will most likely be a non family donor.just thought id get some feed back on it thanks for your time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• This is a very difficult situation and I can't imagine what you must be going through. There is nothing I wouldn't do for my son as far as giving my own life if that meant that my son will live.

Having said that, I think that if I had another child for the explicit purpose of saving my first born life, I don't think I could but I also don't think I could do nothing either.

My answer is I don't know what I'll do but I know that somehow whatever you decide to do will be the best thing for your family. I just hope your child improves.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Anon, is this really necessary? The OP has enough on her plate, some compassion wouldn't kill you. She must be devastated and doesn't need your meanness just now. Show some heart and don't be such a coward person, Op is going through something really difficult, don't make it more than what it is already.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i dont think its stupid at all i would of saved my daughter cord blood if i would of know three yrs ago that this would happen..........i never in a million yrs thought i would need it.but i also looked at it as a double win......i save a child and get another wonderfull person to raise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think if it was the only thing I could do...I totally would. I would do anything for my kids.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i am so sorry u even have to go through this but honestly idk what i would do but when one of ur babies is hurting u want to do anything to make them better i would try the bone marrow route and if we got prego then great and then my youngest child would know there whole life that they were able to give the amazing gift of saving there brothers life just by being born and that they were able to bring a new and amazing dynamic to the family as well as help one of there siblings live a long heathly life and i think it would make the bond b/w them even stronger. good luck momma i cant even emagine what ur going through hope ur baby gets better very soon.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I asked myself that question after I saw the movie and I honestly don't know what I would do. Right now, if that other child had to got through all the things like the child in the movie, no. But I also don't know how it feels if you have a very sick child and there is nothing else you can do to save it's life. I am so sorry your child is so sick and I can not even imagine how you must feel and what your whole family is going through. I hope you can find a donor. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 6:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes, I think I would try it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• First off, the chance of a siblings cord blood being a match to another sibling is UP TO 75% so that is not "pretty much a match" so you cant count on that working.

Secondly, it would be a 9 month wait for the birth of the baby so I personally would TTC but would try to find another donor match in the meantime and wouldnt hold off hope that my son would get a bone marrow transplant in 9 months.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I can honestly say I have no idea what i would do in your situation. Part of me want s to say 'Of course I'd have another one to save my first! My kids are my life.' the other part of me says 'no, because I know I never wanted more than 2 children for monetary reasons as well as what I feel I am able to handle and I am afraid I would never bond with that third child because once his 'purpose' was served he would be a third child for life...' The second thought even as I type it looks so selfish and cold! I hate that it's even there but it would be something I would really have to consider. It sounds as though that would not be a problem for you though! I would be so incredibly torn it's not even funny. My heart goes out to you. I hope you find a donor. My husband just registered to be on the bone marrow donor list last week. It amazing what giving a little bit of your self can Truly give.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Honestly, NO! I personally think it is horrible that some people have children for the sole purpose of trying to save a child they already have. Despite what people say, that child will not have the same love, attention and childhood as the rest because they will be poked and prodded all the time. I hate My Sister's Keeper. Have a child out of love not out of desperation.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2009