Is my son Gifted???

My son is 16 months old, and he is always covering his ears when he hears a sound he doesn't like (that being music, vacuum, etc), he even does it when I discipline him.
The other thing he does is that when I change him or carry him he thows himself backwards.
He really doesn't speak, every once in a while he will say "mama" but that is it!!!!

I am starting to feel there is something wrong, HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, normal behavior for a toddler. Don't worry about it. My son is 18 months and only knows a few words.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son (now 7) didn't have a good vocabulary ATALL..he hardly spoke until he was 3 and had to do some speech classes through his preschool..now he speaks perfectly, no longer does speech, and his KG teacher last year wanted to put him up to 1st but I got scared and now his 1st grade teacher wants to promote him to 3rd grade next year....so being a slow talker doesn't mean much.
    Also it seems like all of my kids have thrown themselves backwards at this age...and into the 2s...it's probably fun.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 12:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I was told those are signs of autism....my daughter had a few signs of autism...we're going through early intervention
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you have any concerns, please call early intervention in your area! It may be nothing, and some people may tell you it's nothing - but if that's the case you at least will get an evaluation to back it up and not have to worry any more. Yes, some kids catch up with speech in time, but if he's behind at all (and having a 13 month old who has 3-5 words and yet was diagnosed with a language delay, I'm guessing he is) then he'll get a little extra speech therapy and catch up even quicker!

Answer by missanc at 9:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• bec all new sound that never hear before. however im deaf Mom and i know my son can hear. Im been test on him while he not looking. he was busy play toys. I use ballon to pop. im rise my hand high 6 feet away from him than pops. he look at me. Make me smile at him. You can try test on him to see if he can hear without look at you. dont let him see you. Make any sound. If he dont hear as all. Is better for him to have doctor visit for him. Im will never let my son being deaf like me. Im so happy he hearing. He have no idea how hard being deaf and im also can talk. Im been wear hearing aid for listen sound that im want. Im been deaf since i was one years old. Im remind u, If your son cant hear than pls go visit doctor.
    whoishotmama

Answer by whoishotmama at 9:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2009