Potty Training!! Anyone elses's child do this?

Well my son is going to be 3 and may is WAS still no where near being potty trained at all. So recently I decided that I really need to start getting him ready to go on it. So one morning he woke up and said he had to go pee, so we rushed to the bathroom and he went, well he didn't want his diaper on or any underwear so I just let him run around for a while with them. ( this was 2 days ago almost 3 ) And all day long he would know that he would have to go pee or poop and rush to the bathroom and make it there everytime not one accident on the floor or anywhere. Well he had been hangin his butt out for about 5 hours so i thought it was time to put some underwear on and cover it up for a while, but as soon as i put it on, he then stopped going on the potty, he'd say PEE but do most of it in his underwear. So i took the underwear off again and left it off and hes been going on the potty ever since

sexy_can_i

Asked by sexy_can_i at 12:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well it wouldn't let me finish my story and question so i'll finish it here...so basically my question is... how do i get him to go on the potty with his underwear on, i mean i don't mind letting him run around for a while with his butt hanging out, BUT when we have ppl over i'd like to be covered up. So any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated. THANKS
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 12:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• hahah. Thats good that he goes like that! If i were you, I'd just let him run free. you're at home, so no one will see him or care. If you go out somewhere put him in a pull ups, and let him know that if he needs to go theres pottys he can use. GL, he sounds like a cute kid :)
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you have people over, tell him they dont want to see his butt. lol Try to convince him to keep them on until they leave.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 12:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Oh my gosh!! My son too..he is 2 but has been wanting to go potty for about 2 months now, but if I put a pull-up or underwear on him he potties in his pants..the only good thing is he won't ever poop his pants anymore..but if I don't know he went (he wants the door closed and will dump his own potty chair if it's just pee, but if he poops he won't) he won't use the potty anymore (if it's got anything in there) and he will go weird places to pee ON weird things and especially on my oldest sons toys. NAUGHTY!!!
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 12:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• u just described my son to a T...i finally got him potty trained by using u tube he is obsessed with monster trucks and cars the movie so i let him watch a clip on youtube when he went on the potty cuz i was having the same issue the only way he would go potty was if he was naked. i would put a pull up on or underwear and he would poop and pee in them i also think seeing his baby sister in diapers made him not want pull ups anymore. u just gotta find what works my son was 3 1/2 when he finally got potty trained and i went through every method and every tip or advice i got from moms and nothing wokred till i found that u tube worked for him. i know its frustrating but u just gotta find what works...he is almost 4 and is now wearing undies to bed and has not had one accident yet...so proud of my big boy :)
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I disagree with the previous-posters who say keep letting him run free with no pants. This is an issue you will have to fix sooner or later. If you want to do a few more days at home bottomless, go ahead, but at some point you will have to teach him to go when he's appropriately dressed. I'd say steer clear of diapers and pull-ups, just go straight to underwear. Start at home with underwear and a shirt (no pants), and keep a close eye on him so that if he does decide to go in his undies, you can move him to the potty to finish there. You'll be able to see it pretty quickly, both in his body language (as he starts to notice it) and, well, you see it on the floor. I think with just a few accidents, if you move him to the potty every time, and reward him for putting his pee in the potty, he'll get it. You will have to help him with his pants for awhile.. that's fine. He obviously knows the "need to go feeling"... good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I had the exact same problem and the poster above is right, you need to nip it in the bud soon. I didn't choose to train my DD that way she just insisted on being totally naked when she used the potty and every time I would put anything on her, loose pants, a pullup or underwear she would always pee in them. I ditched the pullups because I think they are just like a diaper and my daughter clearly didn't know the difference. I put her in underwear and just let her pee in them until she got it. It took a lot of underwear and a lot of patience but she eventually started going on the potty every time. I didn't have to reward her at all, just gave her lots of praise when she did start going on the potty and didn't scold her at all when she didn't, she was fully trained within a month. I think it is obvious that your child knows the feeling of needing to go so its only a matter of time until he gets it even with clothes on.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 2:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• this was going on with my DD as well. i had her bottomless for a few days then today i put undies on her. she had the idea of WHEN she had to go, and guess what she stayed dry pretty much all day. just one accident in the begining. I have to agree that your going to have to face the issue sooner or later. and soone is better than later. good luck!! i know im going to need it.
    BiddleSAHM1987

Answer by BiddleSAHM1987 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2009