Sex Changes in Iran...

This months Marie Claire had a small paragraph about a new law passed in Iran. Because it is illegal to be homosexual or preform homosexual acts in Iran, the government is giving GRANTS to homosexuals that wish to have sex reassignment surgery because it is seen as the cure to homosexuality.

Now, for as little as I like this idea I also see it as a better option than ignoring the issue - but then I also am abhorred at the idea of physically punishing people (whippings or physical labor) for being gay...

IF you agree with or at least accept homosexuality what do you think about this??

IF you are anti-gay, would you see this as a fix?

Just getting some views! I'm still kinda dumbfounded by this one!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only time anyone should have a sex change is because they, themselves want it done.  Not because the government makes them because they are homosexual. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Well, i think it's better then being tortured for being homosexual. And i'm sure there are at least some homosexuals that will gladly accept this "opportunity".
    But i do not see it as a "fix" and it certainly should not be forced.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• isn't that like whitewashing the fence? it doesn't change the fence, which may be cedar or pine, or broken, or knot-holed..it only makes it 'look' different. its ridiculous, if not for any other reason.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree with pnwmom, this is not a solution but another horrific measure to what they consider a problem.

Answer by older at 8:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• May Allah guide them and rectify thier affairs. Ameen. if this indeed is true, the government is doing something that opposes logic.... the act of homosexuality is sinful from a religious knowledge. Allah knows this person is homosexual regardless whether he has a sex change or not.... they are not safe from the punishment of it in this world or the next if Allah wishes to punish them for it. (everything is at his mercy so i cannot say whether a person will be punished or not) but i can say... This is no solution ... from a religous point of view.. it's only a deception for the people.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• it's like giving them the go ahead(condoning it ) just as long as they don't look gay. but sex change doesn't really change who were naturally born as. God creates men and women.. male and female.. man can't change that even if they make a penis a vagina and vice versa. There is no deceiving God.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i would be really interested in what the scholars that adhere to the early teachings of islam have to say about this.. i hadn't heard about it.. now i wonder about thier ruling on it. my guess would be against it.. but not sure
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• IMHO that would only be of help to transsexuals. I am gay and would not want to change my sex, nor would I want my partner to change.

DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 1:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Debbie you bring up and interesting point..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think it is horrible. Being transgender and homosexual are two very different things. And the surgeries are not perfect (especially FtM) and can cause all sorts of problems for the individual.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2009