can you believe that this world is still banning religious freedom? JW's are not allowed to be in russia anymore. thats crazy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First we need to realize that this issue has NEVER gone away! While we here in the US and Canada (and even England & France) are spoiled by our religious freedom, the issue of religion has never gone away completely! There have always been countries that illegality any number of religions... This is just one more example. The issue will never go away, it's just a part of life. There are still people being killed for being witches, still mass genocide because of race or heritage, and worse... While we see religious freedom as a given, there are still people world wide that don't have that luxury, so it's no shock that JW are being banned in Russia. As an open Pagan, I still see lack of religious freedom here in this country! People still loose or not get jobs simply because of religion, are fined over religious practice and other things... While I don't like the fact, I accept that it is one, Religious Freedom is a GIFT!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• People of various faiths are attacked in one form or another - whether it's verbally by people who disagree with someone's faith, or whether it's physically by governments or groups of hate mongers. This has been going on for centuries, and I don't think it's going to end in our lifetimes, or even in the lifetimes of our children or grandchildren. :-(

All we can do is work to change what we can, and be accepting of other people's faiths if we want our own to be accepted as well.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Lucky Russia!!!
    Many places don't have religious freedom. The United States barely has religious freedom. Oh sure we say we have it, but in the US only the Christian religion is fully accepted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• The thing is anon, I think that it really depends on your pov, because there are a lot of Christians in the US that feel attacked for what they believe. Believe me, try being a Christian and expressing your views, and you get attacked, called stupid, accused of all sorts of things, etc.

Because, as I said, there are way too many people - of ALL faiths - and that includes those who profess no faith (which is still a belief - they just believe there is no God) - have such deep seated beliefs as far as their own pov goes, and cry out for acceptance of those views, but at the same time, can't acknowledge that people with different pov's feel just as strongly as they do, and are just as entitled to have those views respected and not disparaged by others.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i read about that, i'm a Jehovah's witness and i thank God that I live in a country where i can preach, teach and just be able to read the bible. We've been praying for our brothers and sisters all over that are not able to do so.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• China (IMO) doesn't allow religious freedome either. We have some neighbors who are Mormon and they lived in China for 6months because of the hubby's work. They were allowed to attend a Mormon church, BUT it was a church only for outsiders - citizens of China had to go to a different Mormon church. Also my neighbors were not allowed to talk about their religion to anyone - its a crime. If someone brought up why they weren't drinking alcohol they couldnt bring up religion at all. People like to complain about all the religious persecution we have here in the US, but at least we are allowed to practice/speak about the different religions here! We are so lucky!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It's not just Russia, China, and some of the hard line muslem countries as well. And I am sure there are many more that I have no idea about. And then there are those that may not publicly forbid religious practice but don't condemn persecution either.

Yes it is crazy but some governments are very threatened by religion of any form.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes it is crazy but some governments are very threatened by religion of any form.

not threatened...ANOYED!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• anon:20 what do you mean by annoyed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Proundmomma777

You say preach and teach, I say harass and annoy. How hard is it for JW to get that I have my own church, hat my children have their own church, and we don't need your "preaching" and "teaching". I disagree with some of your beliefs and although I feel you have the right to believe what you want I would prefer to not have you knock on my door ever. I should not have to be rude to get you to go away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009