Church Assistance

How would you feel if your church would not help you financially? Take in mind that you have never asked for assistance and have been faithful in paying dues and giving an offering plus giving large contributions over the past 10 years because you wanted to give.
Do you think it is part of the church responsibility to help its members when in need?

keykey289

Asked by keykey289 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• as christian people, yes. You're supposed to help eachother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think it depends on what assistance is needed. If it is poor judgement on the members fault then no but if someone falls on hard times then yes, the church should offer help. Most churches would help their members or at least the churches that I have attended would, I think.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• As long as it were actual hard times and not someones stubbornness or stupidity then yes, not only should the church help but the brothers & sisters in Christ.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would have to know a lot more about the circumstances. First of all is the church in a position to help? Smaller churches often run on very tight budgets. Is there a standing policy not to help financially? I knew of a church that just plain didn't do it. They would refer people to social service agencies or para-church groups but they did not want to do that sort of thing. Some churches will only help members.

As a general rule yes I believe churches should help members and regular attenders as they are able. Our church has a decons fund and a special fund for medical emergencies.  They also help act as go-betweens  for people to connect them with agencies for long term needs. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I had a friend tell me that when she and her husband were separated 10 yrs ago the Bishop of their ward told her that while they can help with a little food they were not a charity and she should find help though programs in town herself! They could not help her find housing for herself and(4) kids or assist her with it.

I think it was because their religion is so against divorce. But then she tried to salvage it, he didn't and just up and left with some one else!

AND as Christians we should help those members in need. Afterall, they've helped with funding the church for many MANY years tithing.

What they put in tithing and helping to fund to replace the churchs' roof she said would have bought her a new Lincoln Navigator! And they turned their backs on her and her 4 children.

She actually got help she needed but it was not via that church. I actually helped her and her children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• in my congregation they try to help as much as they can, i've never seen them turn someone away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• How sad. I don't think churches help like they did in the past. When my Dad died my mother's church helped her pay her bills until she was able to find a job and was financially able to take over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• "What they put in tithing and helping to fund to replace the churchs' roof she said would have bought her a new Lincoln Navigator! "

perhaps she should of been depositing all that extra money into an interest-yeilding savings account. tithing/offerings to a church is not an insurance premium...its giving due to what is put on your heart to give. to think anyone or organization is supposed to 'help out' when you need it just because you've been so good to them, is not coming from a right heart condition in the first place. perhaps a church might 'help' as they are able, but its not a guaranteed thing to any one member, no matter how many lincoln navigators they could've been driving. if she or anyone who tithes 'could have' purchased a $60,000 car in lieu of church offerings, she probably would've wasted it on unnecessary stuff anyway, and still wouldn't be driving a LN.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• At my husband's church, there are only like 20 people left in the congregation and they have only enough to pay the utilities. I don't think they could afford to help anyone even if they wanted to, which is sad.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree that a lot of congregations don't ahve the means to help everyone, esp this year when so many need help. Like teamquinn, I"d have to know more particulars before forming a conclusion as to whether they were wrong or not to refuse.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 10:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009