Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about child support.

So I received this letter the other day saying I could call this number to get information about child support I am going to be receiving for my two sons. I called the number and it says that my ex has paid money. I live in Michigan, I am on state help as of right now, will I even get that money, or does it go to the state? If I do get it does anyone know how I can actually get the money. I am going to call the friend of the court in the morning and I will know for sure then. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it that way I knew tonight. Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Taken from Michigan DHS Website:

    How support payments are received by the custodial party

    The custodial party can receive payments:

    Through direct deposit into a personal checking/savings account.
    Through deposit to a child support debit card.
    Michigan law requires that the Office of Child Support must send payments through electronic disbursement except in specific, limited circumstances. All support recipients who do not choose direct deposit into their checking or savings account will receive a debit card. Support will be automatically deposited into the debit card account.,1607,7-124-5453_5528-107443--,00.html#payments2

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

  • i live in MI as well and the state took my ex to court for child support we both recieved papers in the mail saying when our court date was we both went they did this formula caculation to c how much he has to pay and how much he has in back child support.our court date was the middle of dec in 07 i started recieving money by check in the beginning of feb and got my reliacard in the mail in march and it took about 2 weeks to get money on there. they take money right out of his check and i get the money about a week later. i get 375 for one child and on the 4th of the month i usually get around 200 of it and the rest is ramdomally spread out over the next 2 weeks then nothing till the next month. i never really get the same amount every time i just get money when ever but i always get all of my money every month. but u have to contact ur local friend of the court we live in wayne county so we had to go to detriot FOC

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

  • what county do u live in PM me if u have any more questions

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

  • If you are getting cash assitance from the state, you will not get the child support, it will go to the state. Did the state help you get the child support? Local child support offices by federal law help with child support cases. If you are recieving cash assistance from the state I suggest that you contact your case worker and have her explain to you what the process is.

    Answer by ronjwake at 4:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

  • it goes back to the state to defer the cost of the welfare money you are getting.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

  • The state gets paid back first then you will start getting the money

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.