How would you handle this situation? Argh, sisters.

She asked if I could watch her 3yo for 'a few hours' while she went out with her bf. She brought him by at 6pm and didn't pick him up until after midnight. My mother and I tried to reach her several times because her son ended up being sick. I have a 3yo son and am 29wks pregnant and didn't want us to catch anything. Turns out, she knew we were trying to reach her and why and IGNORED us. When she finally got here, she didn't say sorry and barely thanked me. She even got mad because our mom wasn't here (why she expected her to be, I dunno.) I couldn't bring myself to say anything to her then because I was stunned at her behavior. She takes advantage of our time quite often (30 mins extra here, an hour there) but never anything like this. I know I should've kept that in mind when I agreed but figured our sons would have a good time. I didn't know my poor nephew was sick. Should I let it go or say something? What would you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I would say something. My brother and SIL do that to me ALL the time with their 3yo and they are 23 and 24...I am 20 with a 2 year old and a 6 month old of my own. And they pull crap like that with me alllll the time. And yeah, you should say something.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:19 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I forgot to add...because that's not fair to you at all in any way. She totally 100% took advantage of you...and if I were you, I wouldn't agree to babysit anymore for a while.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would say something. I have a friend that use to do that to me all the time then one night I was watching her daughter for her to go tanning and she then called and said she would be over at 930 she had some other things to do and when midnight rolled around and she still wasn't answering her phone and my hubby drove by the club and saw her car there. We called her mother and her mother(the childs grandmother) came a picked the baby up and I went to the club and told her that Her child is with her mother I no longer watch her child anymore and the baby wa at the time 2 weeks old. and she also had a 5 yrs old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would definitely say something. I would also warn her that the next time she pulls that crap, she can pick up her child from the police station or I wouldn't babysit for awhile.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 5:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It won't do any good to say anything, because she doesn't care. She is all about herself. I would either not keep him for her again or I would tell her to bring him to spend the night. If he stays the night, your family can go to bed and get some sleep. This is one of those situations where it is so difficult to know the right thing to do because none of this is the fault of this little child. She is irresponsible and the child is the one who suffers. She needs to wake up to her real responsibilities. Maybe if you threaten to take the child away or have someone else try to get custody of him, she would see the light. Otherwise, I don't know what you can do. Unfortunately, we do not have the power to change other people. She has to want that for herself, and right now, she's living the life of an unaccountable teen-ager with no thought for you, her child or anyone else. It is very sad, especially for the child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you don't say something, she'll think she can continue to behave that way.

Don't let her walk all over you. You do not have to be mean to her, just tell her point blank "I'm not going to watch your child for you if you cannot come home when you say you will, & you will not answer the phone, that is irresponsible & won't have anything to do with it. I have my own child & I'm pregnant & don't need to deal with anyone elses BS"
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2009