breastfeeding

I have a one month old son, and i breastfed him, up til this week i have been feeding him as much as possible my milk supply is barely at two ounces and he is growin cause my husband made a bottle for him and he ate 4 ounces, i can not supply him four ounces a feeding wow, i stopped cause i kept getting complaints from my bil tellin his mom that it is not fair to ask him to stay in his room when i feed my son, and everytime i do feed him my bil walks out the room, and it just mkes me feel uncomfortable and upsets my dh my question is what can i do to build my milk supply cause my dh and i are moving to our own place on sat. so i will be able to nurse as much as jesse needs to be. any help pls

waterlily89

Asked by waterlily89 at 2:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok hold on here! There is no need to make him hide in his room. And there is no need for you to stop either. You need to keep that baby on the breast, that is how your supply growns. Now when you nurse I assume you are in the living room or whatever where the rest of the family is, maybe you should practice in fron of a mirror doing it discreetly. Really, i have breastfed in public lots of times and people didnt even know that I was nursing they just thught the baby was sleeping. If you want some tips send me a message and I will explain more. You dont have to cover with a blanket either and still not have your whole boob showing. Your husband needs to understand that you are going to have to feed the baby in other places sometimes too (I say this because he dosent like his brother around you when you are nursing)
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I agree with the above post.

I could rarely get more than 2oz when I pumped even though I know that my children were getting plenty of milk while they were on my breast. You can't go by how much milk you pump, as long as he is growing you are making plenty. You really should continue to nurse at the breast to get the best milk supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• No offense but to put your BIL feelings in front of your child's health is wrong on so many levels. This is your child and your innocent child comes first, period, especially when it comes to their lifetime platform of health.  Breastfeeding is extremely important for baby and you and to stop because it is inconvenient for someone will haunt you and especially baby forever!! Since you are so uncomfortable can you be the one to go to your bedroom? I do think that you should definitely be able to breastfeed anywhere but if it is between hiding or no breastmilk I would choose hiding hands down. Good Luck and get baby back to breast ASAP!!

Please listen to stickyfingers and anon they have some great suggestions!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Just keep nursing him. The more he nurses the more milk your body will make. It's a supply and demand thing. Just ignore your brother in law and feed your baby. He'll get over it. It is more important that you give your baby the best, which is breastmilk!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I learned to nurrse my baby in a wrap sling or a baby blanket cover (its winter and cold). At first i would leave the room to establish latch and return. once i got better at it i didn't need to. i've fed the baby in front of 5 great grandparents, 5 grandparents, 3 sils, 1 bil, and various strangers. It is other people, not you who should couteously not stare.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• People who get upset will get over it. If the don't then i say enjoy the quiet moments. your bil needs to grow a pair and you needto stop needlessly getting worked up. you are feeding the baby, not poledancing topless.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• The more you nurse, the more you will get your productions back up. Keep nursing baby as long as he will take even if he isn't getting anything. Just the sucking will stimulate your breasts to produce more milk. If you can pump, try doing that as well. Just remember though that the more you supplement with formula and nurse less, the less milk you are going to produce so even if it means baby feeds every hour instead of every 2 or 3, if you are able to do that, do it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• First of all, pumping is no indication of supply. Just because you only pump 2 oz, doesn't mean you only make 2oz. Baby is much more effective and will remove as much milk as they need.

Secondly, babies will always, always eat more from bottles. So, just because you babe ate 4oz from a bottle, does not mean he needs that much or will take that much from the breast. Breastfeeding is supply and demand... as long as you are nursing on demand your body will supply as much milk as your baby needs. Watch diapers... 6 a day and he's getting enough milk and that's your only concern. Let him work out the details with exactly how much he wants to take in. Also, watch out for growth spurts... you're coming up on one and he may want to nurse constantly and act like he's starving. That's OK! He needs to do that work to get your supply increased for his growing needs. Just hang in there and it will pass...

Con't...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• As for BIL... why is BIL being forced to hide in his room? You're nursing a baby, not giving your DH a lapdance! I live with my brother as well and we were both a little weird about it at first... but he made an effort not to look and I made an effort to cover up... now, 9 months later and neither of us care. They're boobs. They're made for feeding babies. Use a blanket or double up your shirts (one up/one down) if you are uncomfortable... but BIL shouldn't have to hide out.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I have no problem nursing in front of him my bil is the squemish he is 16... it makes me upset because I have went to his mom's room and she is immature about telling me constanly tht she see my boobs... and i tried the restroom but i was told that i was nursing him too long, my dh and do not have a room of our own we sleep in the living room we will be moving out on saturday... thanks ladies
    waterlily89

Answer by waterlily89 at 6:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2009