Are amniocentesis safe at 37 weeks?

I am pregnant with my fourth baby and have been schedualed for this procedure on Thursday. I was originally schedualed onJanuary 4th to have a repeat c-section. I requested a earlier delivery because of recovery. My husband works from 6-3 and I have one child who is special needs and gets picked up at 6:45am and another who goes to school at 8am. Not to mention a two year old boy who stays home and bounces of the walls getting into trouble all day. I would not be able to properly recover from the c-section with no family or friends to help out. My husband work goes on vacation between Dec 21 and Jan 5th. That would give me twoo weeks of healing before getting into a new routine. My concern is whether or not this procedure is safe at this stage? What are the probabilities of my baby being stuck? How probable is it that her lung are well enough developed? Please anyone with answers or even opinions let me know. Thanks

Nik-Nac

Asked by Nik-Nac at 2:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• why would you get an amnio now? or are you thinking about getting the c section now?
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 9:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Its safer to make sure that the babies lungs are developed. Youd feel horrible if you got the c/s and the baby came out and had to be in the NICU on ventilators cause he was too early. The march of Dimes says that inductions and scheduled c/s are the #1 cause of prematurity in the US. That being said, I would rather suffer through with no help and a healthy baby then to take him too early for my own benifit. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying. JMHO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I am pro-induction (or scheduled section in your case) but I do not think that convenience of recovery is a good reason to deliver early and I cant believe your doc would deliver early for that reason!

I had to have an induction at 37 weeks (i needed surgery and it was either an induction or a c-section & surgery at the same time) and my doc wanted to do any amnio and I wouldnt let her. I would have suffered in pain for another 3 weeks before I would risk and amnio. I went for a second opinion at another doctors office and they did the induction with no amnio.

I think your questions (risk of baby being stuck & risk of undeveloped lungs) are best left to ask your doctor. We try to be helpful on here but those are really medical professional type questions.

Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009