If your a first time mom and your little one age 18 months is not well and you can't get a hold of your doctor. Do you lesson to your heart and take them to the hospital or do you wait? My husband says i am way over dram queen.

My husband and I are fighting my son is not at all feeling well but even odd for him he has had only two wet diapers and doesn't not wish to eat much or drink much.
And that is not at all like him, I know he doesn't feel well but my heart still tells me something more is to this or am I going nuts because I just don't know what to do for him???
It is 3:05 and i can't sleep!!!

knighthorn

Asked by knighthorn at 3:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tomorrow is monday. I'd wait until tomorrow. There could be a million reasons why his diapers aren't wet and he's not hungry much. and hours in the ER isn't going to help him get any better. You could possibly be exposing him to more serious illnesses.
    If he has a severe fever or is constantly crying ...and nothing seems to help then consider the hospital.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• if your little one feels bad you cannot take the risk and not go because the H!N! thing it will seem like a runny nose and alot of the times they dont even have a fever with it I would go right no and tell your hubby maybe he doesn't worry enough believe me my hubby says the same dumb crap but usually I am right go with your gut if its telling you to take the child then take the child just be careful of germs in the hospital !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• wow anon. you clearly don't pay much attention
    it is MORE of a health risk to take your child to the hospital BECAUSE of H1N1. Health Care pro's are suggesting that unless there is severe fever to keep the child away from the hospital.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Maybe he's getting in his back molars. That would make him not want to eat, and that would be another reason why his diapers aren't wet as much.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:17 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i say take him. when my daughter was younger, she had a slight fever but would eat or drink so i took her and she was a little dehydrated (lucily not badly) and they ened up diagnosing her with bronchitis....i'm not trying to scare you but you're his mom and trust your instincts! worse case scenario, there's nothing wrong and you wasted some time.
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would wait till the doctors office opens and ya he maybe getting his molars in and if he doesn't have ahigh fever then wait a few more hours and keep an eye on him.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son was like that at 18 months too. Has he had his shots? That can make the baby act and feel sick. Check their gums to see if they're hard. I had called the advice nurse and they said there was nothing seriously wrong. Around that time my son went from eating up everything to not eating right for about a week. I would give him an old fashioned rub down in luke warm water and rubbing alchohol.
    bossladyp

Answer by bossladyp at 3:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I totally agree with outstandingLove. My daughters always acted strange when they were teething and wouldn't eat. However, I must also agree with bossladyp because if you are concerned it never hurts to get advice from a nurses hotline or you can call the er if you don't have a nurses hotline. They will ask you to describe what's happening and suggest what to do next.
    sweet_krissy

Answer by sweet_krissy at 4:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Answered at 3:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 by: outstandingLove
    Tomorrow is monday. I'd wait until tomorrow. There could be a million reasons why his diapers aren't wet and he's not hungry much. and hours in the ER isn't going to help him get any better. You could possibly be exposing him to more serious illnesses.

THIS. I couldn't agree more.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 4:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you list his symptoms it would be easier to make a judgement call on this. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2009