Is it weird that i'm only 25 yrs old and I already have high cholesterol, diabetes, high blood pressure and high triglycerides?

I didn't have any of this till pregnancy and after pregnancy:( I weigh 155 and i'm 5'1. I wish I had someone to go to a gym with or what can I do to get healthier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Health

• Yes, that is crazy! I too was diagnosed with high cholesterol at around your age. At that time, i was not overweight but my cholesterol level scored at a wopping 350! the said i would have to take medication for the rest of my life. Back then i did not listen to the doctors. I thought i could beat this with diet and exercise but that did not work. It took the death of my father to wake me up. He too suffered with high cholesterol that eventually lead to problems with his heart and death. I believe that it was due to a combination of not taking his meds and drinking too much alcohol. Will never know!..Now that i am mother to two toddlers, i want to be around for a very long time! Now, i am taking my meds on a daily basis and walk as often as possible.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I think that it is sad, not crazy.

You need a new way to live. I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes. Try fish oil capsules and niacin for the cholesterol. That is what my doc told me. I am not a doctor.(As if you don't know, lol.)
    Look into Walk Away the Pounds. You can find the DVD at Target for 15.00 and it is really fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• that is crazy. how much did you weigh b4 preg? is it from the weight gain? did you have Any issues b4 preg at all? i got high bp from my first preg that took 6 months to go away. i worked out (was winter in OH so i did yoga at home) and lost weight and took the meds and i got better. i hope you do too!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• yea i am in the same siuation as you, but im 24... i was perfectly healthy until i got pregnant...with my daughter which was my first pregnancy i got gest. diabetes and after i delivered it didnt go away so i am now diabetic,...the when i got pregnant with my son i obviously had the diabetes, then i got preclampsia, which also for some reason didnt go away, so now i have high blood pressure too....so i know it does happen, its just not the norm...

did they put you on any medication?

if you need anymore info feel free to pm me...

Susie
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• all well most all of those runs in families. So while weight does have something to do with it as diet sometimes one is predispostioned to them also. I just found out I have IR. Diabetes does not run in hte family but I am now pre-pre diabetic. My mom passed away at 59 due to her unknown health problems and it scars the day lights out of me. Please do what ever your doctors recommend.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• That's very very sad. I think you've had some good suggestions here and bottomline, you need major lifestyle changes. I am 47 and have 2 young children (3 & 5) and I am very healthy despite family histories of diabetes and obesity. I just never ever wanted to end up like my mom - fat with chronic health problems and a propensity for complaining all the time! I am 5'10", 120 lbs and have no problem keeping up with my 2 young boys. It's a lifelong commitment you make to yourself and your children - you CAN do it but you have to DO it, no excuses. Now get up and MOVE!! Kidding, good luck to you...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You must eat HORRIBLY! Quit the fast food & crappy snacks. After i gave birth i was 170 lbs for 4 years. Although, i was vegetarian at the time & i ate pretty healthy. I had low cholesterol, low blood pressure & non of that other stuff you mentioned. i'm also 5'1, i was larger than you are now. If you just made changes in the way you eat food, you could lose a lot of wieght. You have to eat serious CRAP for your body to be in such a crappy condition. I don't mean to be harsh, but the truth IS harsh.

How i lost my weight?

I stopped driving. Is started taking public transportation everywhere & i was forced to walk a lot more. I lost all my weight in about 4 monthes, now I'm down to 128 (would like to be 120 or 115). I don't eat like crap though. Do i like to eat? HELL YES! I'm a great cook, which is why it can be easy for me to gain. But, wholesome meals make a HUGE difference. I bet you eat a lot of junk. You need to quit
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• A lot of your health problems could be due to family history. My brother was diagnosed with high cholesterol when he was in his 20s - he's 5'11" and has never had larger than a 29" waist so it's NOT always due to weight. But as far as your weight - you need to hit the gym whether you have someone to go with or not. Get some good music and just get moving. Make smarter choices about your foods, but don't diet because if you do you won't maintain what you lose.

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I'm 24 with High Blood Pressure I didn't get it until I went into labor with my baby last year. I'm 5'4 and weight 170 something. My blood pressure has been normal fo rthe past 2 months so things are looking up for me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2009