• In the Spotlight:

does anyone have tv advice

I watch tv, not as junk tv but for learning: news, food, etc. Well my little angel 15mo is forced to hear the jingles and is quite familiar. I'm worried that this is setting her up for something not so good. Any advice appreciated on what to do and what you know about tv issues with babies.

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 6:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what exactly is your concern, that she is exposed to excessive ads? My only advice is if that concerns you is to turn off the tv and turn on the radio like NPR for your news instead
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• ditto pp
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Most TVs come with an off switch ;) Newspapers are a much quieter way to get your info and your little one won't become a walking billboard.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 8:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I like watching TV and I let my kids watch tv, so I have no advice for you.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We have the tube on for three hours a day for mine. Sesame Street in the morning before breakfast, 1pm for Imagination Movers and 6pm for Kai-Lan
    I watch after she goes to bed or when she naps.
    For news, cooking etc I listen to pod casts on my phone & computer. This way she is not distracted by the bright lights & zoning out and still hears language and I don't go crazy listening to Radio Disney.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 10:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If you don't want your 15 month old to watch/hear tv (which is an appropriate desire for a child under 2 -- although I personally feel okay about a VERY LIMITED amount of a show selected by you), don't watch tv around your kid. Just watch when she's asleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I never really imagined radio until I stayed with my friend a few years ago and all she tuned into was radio, but it was right wing so I turned off. But I do listen to NPR in my car, by accident I found the station. I haven't listened to the radio in years, and never for news so I guess that is a new idea for me. I will pull out the dusty little cd player with a tuner. I rarely would turn on my stereo system for radio either, thats so funny. She would turn it off since she already knows the buttons. Newspaper doesn't work me for since I can't sit and read always moving. Cooking channel would be an issue if I turn off tv.
    babygirl821

Answer by babygirl821 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I was reading a great book called "Unplug Your Kids: A Parent's Guide to Raising Happy, Active and Well-Adjusted Children in the Digital Age" By David Dutwin. It gives great advice backed up by research for parents of kids of all ages. In general I think the suggestions were 1 hour or less of TV for childern under 3, no TVs in the kid's bedrooms, educational programs especally ones that interact with the kids like Super Why or Dora. If you have the TV on for noise (I did before reading this book) switch to music, we have music channels with our cable TV and they have one especally for toddlers. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2009