traveling with babies

I plan to travel on a 4 hour plane ride with my baby when she is 7 months old. does anyone have any tips on traveling. also is it possible to bring the car seat and base on the plane?

shandyeddie

Asked by shandyeddie at 7:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Travel

• traveling with a baby can be challenging....ok my first question is does the baby have his/her own seat or is she flying as a lap child?

if she has her own ticket and her pwn seat then taking the carseat on the plane shouldnt be a problem, but if he/she is flying
    on a lap ticket then you might run into some problems...

when ever i would fly as an adult i would always make sure to have gum or some thing to chew on when you take off and land, so i would make sure my kids had something too, since obviously the baby cant have gum i would try giving the baby a bottle (if bottle fed) or a binki if he/she will take one....it helps make it less uncomfortable when the pressure changes, which can cause ear pain/popping....
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 8:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• *continued*

thats all i can think of right now besides take all the normal stuff you would take when going anywhere with a baby, change of clothes, extra bottles, diapers, wipes, maybe a few toys to keep them occupied

good luck!

Susie
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I plan on having her on my lap. can I take the car seat and base as checked baggage?

thanks!
    shandyeddie

Answer by shandyeddie at 8:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If the baby has a ticket and a seat, you can bring your car seat. Maybe the airline can help you with the specifics of the car seat situation. Otherwise, whatever amuses your baby in general will help. And yes, a bottle or pacifier.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We're flying with our daughter for the first time next month to visit my in-laws. My MIL has a few friends with babies about a year older than my daughter. I asked her if she could borrow baby gear from her friends so we wouldn't have to lug all that extra stuff. Her one friend that she babysits for said she could borrow anything - stroller, pack-n-play, etc. She's even borrowing a car seat (from someone she trusts and that hasn't been in an accident). I would recommend trying to borrow as much gear as you can if at all possible.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• BTW, if you do get someone to lend you a car seat, make sure they bring it to the airport when you arrive.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• thanks everyone!
    shandyeddie

Answer by shandyeddie at 8:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009

• Something that is great when you are travelling with your little one on lap is to bring a snuggli or a wrap in case you need free hands while you are sitting or acutally any time during the day. My advice would bring the car seat up to the gate. Before boarding ask if there is any extra seats and if so if they could move near one then you would have the car seat. If they do not have any extra seats then you can check the car seat. For me when travelling with one I never used a stroller but after adding 2 little ones I have found it very helpful, it is something else that can be checked at the gate.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2009