What happens here if Tony Blair is prosecuted for war crimes?

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair's recent admission that he would have invaded Iraq even if he knew from the start that it did not have weapons of mass destruction has sparked public outrage and calls for his prosecution for war crimes in the ongoing war inquiry, the AFP reported.

Blair's administration originally used WMDs to justify going to war, leaving the public feeling that the former minister had entered Iraq under false pretenses, using the language that was most convenient at the time.

Blair maintains that Saddam Hussein's presence in the region would have been enough of a threat to justify the war.
"I would still have thought it right to remove him. I mean, obviously you would have had to use and deploy different arguments about the nature of the threat," Blair told the BBC.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "It was the notion of him as a threat to the region, of which the development of WMD was obviously one, and because you'd had 12 years of United Nations to and fro on this subject, he used chemical weapons on his own people -- so this was obviously the thing that was uppermost in my mind," Blair continued.

Blair's admission has gotten a reaction from all corners-- even Defense Secretary Bob Ainsworth told the BBC he was "a little bit" surprised by Blair's comments.

"I supported the war in Iraq based on the arguments that were put at the time and a big part of those arguments was - and I firmly believed that they existed - was the existence of WMD at that time," Ainsworth said.
    Journalist Andrew Gilligan commented in the Sunday Telegraph that Blair's "game-changing admission" will give the war panel "license to be tougher and more prosecutorial."

Blair will provide evidence at the Iraq war hearings early next year.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Interesting. I don't know. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I am sure that more than 300,000 Iraqi citizens would agree with you, unfortunately they can't because Saddam had them executed. But yah, go ahead and prosecute those that were responsible enough to protect those that couldn't protect themselves, and then give yourself a hearty pat on the back for "doing the right thing".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• How many iraqi's have died because of US and Tony' Blair's invasion? how many continue to die because of it? if he committed war crimes he should be prosecuted just like our soldiers are when they commit war crimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I am sure that more than 300,000 Iraqi citizens would agree with you, unfortunately they can't because Saddam had them executed. But yah, go ahead and prosecute those that were responsible enough to protect those that couldn't protect themselves, and then give yourself a hearty pat on the back for "doing the right thing"

Agree with me on what? I haven't stated anything.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• How many iraqi's have died because of US and Tony' Blair's invasion? More than 103,000 civilian deaths

how many continue to die because of it? if he committed war crimes he should be prosecuted just like our soldiers are when they commit war crimes. A crime is a crime, if one was committed, it should be prosecuted

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Oh dear. Silly Tony. Oh well. We never liked him anyway.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 9:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• 103,000? Look how many Saddam and his sons killed, but as long as the leaders, and soldiers, who stepped in to stop them get prosecuted that is all well and good! YES let us crucify those that defend those who cannot, or will not, stand up and defend themselves! That way we can scratch our heads and wonder why they are depressed, and suicidal, when they have to come back to the hate-filled garbage being spewed in their faces! Oh, but wait, we can find some bogus nonsense to back up our claims that we have nothing to do with it! Yes this logic makes perfect sense!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Hang 'em all and get it over with!

eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009