Am I really that old or is my daughter too young?

My daughter is 13 and I asked her why she doesn't want to hang out with me anymore. So, she said :well, mom, I'm only 13 and you're 38. You're too old to hang out with me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She is a teen. Im sorry to say but for a few years you will be to old to hang out with LOL.
    Im dreading the day I hear that.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• lol, I misunderstood the question. When I linked I thought you were like me. My 13 yr old dd got pregnant and that made me a grandmother when I was 35!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Its neither!!!! She's a teen now, and doesn't want to be seen with mommy. I don't think teens mean to be disrespectful or inconsiderate, its just that they get so caught up with image. You're still her mommy and she still loves u, she just wants some independence. My dd is 9 and I know she will do the same as ur dd even though she tels me she would always hang out with me no matter my age!!! I am going to tell you what I plan on doing when my dk get in their teens; think back to when I was a teen and try to remember what I wanted to be, live, act, etc, also the independence that I craved(I didn't mind being with my mom, it was that our tastes differed significantly, and our interests were on different levels(I wanted to go out, she wanted to stay home, etc). Of course now I wish I could go back to my teen years and try to reach out to my mom a different way! Just don't smother, baby, or pacify her cuz it'll blow up in ur face.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son is 12, and he is getting to be the same way. However, I don't "expect" him to want to hang out with me given the choice between hanging out with mom and hanging out with his friends lol. But we have strict rules, he's not allowed to go anywhere with his friends without a responsible adult going too until he is 15 or 16 because this is just not a safe area for him to be doing that so he knows if he wants to go hang out with his friends somewhere, mom has to go too and that's just that. I think he appreciates feeling safe, and I give him a little freedom like if we go to the movies they can sit a few rows ahead of me or whatever. I try to give him freedom but still be there because I don't want him becoming like some of these teens I see around here whose moms let them go wherever they want to give them their "independence".
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It's that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• hmmm; not that my mother and I went to the movies together or hung out at the skating rink; but I don't ever recall telling her she was 'too old' to hang out with. I mean we went to the mall or ran other errands together every weekend, unless I was at my Dad's house; yes even when I was a teen until I got a job and was working on the weekends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• That is just awful. Breaks my heart to think my son is on the brink.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son is too young, he still wants to be with mommy. I don't know how would I feel when the day comes. I dream of him been an independent person, self-assured and able to function in society. If that means that he needs his space, so be it. i consider it a small price to pay for the peace of mind that when I am gone, he will be able to fence for himself. I have always known that children are born from us but the minute they cut the umbilical cord, our job is to prepare them to be independent and to be able to function in our society. He will forever be my baby no matter how old he is but there is a process that needs to take place in order for him to become an independent person, so it's just part of life cycle, I guess.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• shes just a teen. she's trying to be independent & is prolly afraid of what her peers will think. i remember not wanting to be seen w/ my parents from about 13-16...then i realized just how silly it was. i never had to tell my parents why, but then they never asked why i didnt want to hang w/ them anymore.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• While your daughter sounds like a normal 13 year old, don't let her get away with it. Try to have mother/daughter time at least everyother week, even if it is just a long walk on Saturday morning after breakfast. It is so important to maintain good communication with teens.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2009