Looking to be a Real Estate Agent/Company helper.

Real Estate Agent/Company helper (Northern Virginia)

About ME:
SAHM with two girls of my own, 5 years old and 18 months. I am a married, 34 year old female with a bachelors degree in merchandising with an emphasis on fashion. I worked several years with a major department store as a visual merchandiser before leaving when I had my first child in 2004. I am a mom. I worked part time at a home daycare with my first daughter and realized I wanted more control over the conditions my child was exposed to, daily, especially with all the viruses going around. Schedule is flexible. I am interested in getting my foot into the real estate world because I would like to continue to be home for the girls when they are in school full time and off for the summers. I am looking for something that I can do out of my home. I think I would actually be good at selling houses - my family had a lot of beach property while I was growing up and I

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 9:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• While it sounds like your background, education, etc. is perfect, you have to be aware of the current real estate market. Have you thought about maybe becoming a pharmaceutical rep, or even a type of district manager for retail? It sounds like your experience would be most beneficial for these types of jobs. I always thought it would be perfect being in real estate, but you have to consider a couple of things- first the economy, of course, second it leaves you wide open to crime, and what I mean by that is you are showing a home to complete strangers, by yourself. That's why my husband said absolutely NO. Also, it takes a lot to get you to the point where it would be possible for you to work out of your home and choose your own hours. When you start out in real estate, unfortunately, you get crappy hours and have to work around your client's schedules- which unfortunately are mostly weekends and evenings.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:00 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I remember retail hours. I think I worked over 16 years in retail. My husband works retail. I don't think with two in retail that would be a regular routine for the kids. That's why I was hoping maybe someone could take me under their wing and help me get started so I could do the crappy hours and weekends, etc. while still being home for the girls...which is my main priority - but need to bring in more income now that they're getting older and growing so fast.
    augsmom

Answer by augsmom at 10:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Why don't you check with local ad agencies to see if they can give you merchandising type projects to do at home on your computer. You might get lucky and be able to provide them with overnight service and do stuff after you put the girls to bed and on weekends.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• So how are you conducting your job search? There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• while still being home for the girls...which is my main priority

In today's economy employers don't look at what you just said kindly.  It just mean you'll be missing work.  They could always hire someone that doesn't have that responsibility.  Especially one with experience without training them.  Job market and competition is rough. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• What kind of merchandising jobs could I do from home? I'm confused. I wish you were not anonymous so you could answer. If you ever pop back, let me know. How am I conducting my search? Just kind of networking - feeling out if anyone knows anyone looking for someone like me. And the "while still being home for the girls...which is my main priority" yes, I can see how that just shot me in the foot - but that's not what I meant - in a way - I want to be able to be home for them and they understand and appreciate it. They have backed me in whatever job I have been able to get. They have been there with me while I clean houses for move-outs and prepared for renters. They have stayed busy while I was on the phone. They have given me time to work on the computer. If I were to make a commitment to a company - we would work it out. I would not let anyone down.
    augsmom

Answer by augsmom at 12:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2009