climbing and listening

How do you install an understanding of yes and no in regards to climbing? My 16m daughter used to go to a play area with climbing structures. She's allowed to climb on the couches & her chairs, but now the weather has changed& she is inside. I have a book business, thus have cartons full of books for the conventions. I do not have a separate office (no room) . She climbs the cartons, I tell her no/get down/danger, take her down & when she does it again this repeats. I tell her sternly & she has fell a couple of times & gotten scared, but it doesn't last long. The cartons are against walls, blocking the computer wires etc. She has pulled sheets off the bed trying to get up, has pulled child gates off balance and has wrenched her leg trying to get out of the crib at night. While I'm glad she is adventurous this has to stop.Other than being nearly non-verbal (only says 20 words) she is normal & quite independant. Any ideas?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 10:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I cannot put the cartons anywhere and there is no more shelving or areas for new shelving in the house. I cannot empty the cartons as they tend to be more haphasard when empty (they are plastic.) and they are about four feet high.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 10:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i put laundry baskets down, pull her baby mattress out on the floor, make stuff for her to climb on, my lil one is like this too. get a small slide for inside. mabe time to get her her own toddler bed. my lil one sleeps with me at night but takes her naps in her bed. plus they lay close to the ground and it will give her something to climb on and jump
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We do time outs, but we put her on the floor to physically make her low, and don't engage her. I always say "we don't ___" and then put her on time out. We wait 30sec to a min and then ask her "Do we ___? (give chance to answer) No. we don't. No ___" and then give her a hug. I pick my battles and am as consistant as possible- that's huge. If you don't want her climbing on the boxes, you can't let her ever get away with it. Really though, I think this is asking a lot of a child. You're putting her in a room full of fun and expecting her not to have fun, you know? That's how she sees it. I know you said you have nowhere else to put these things, but I honestly just don't think you can punish your child for doing something that really is your fault for being there.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• . Really though, I think this is asking a lot of a child. You're putting her in a room full of fun and expecting her not to have fun, you know? That's how she sees it. I know you said you have nowhere else to put these things, but I honestly just don't think you can punish your child for doing something that really is your fault for being there.

So you are saying that I should not expect logic and/or discipline to kick in for a while?
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 9:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2009