Trinitarians: show me the scriptures that say Jesus is GOD and holy spirit is God?

Apart from John1:1 which is sometimes translated as the Word was with God and the Word was God (and was A god in most other translations), i can't see the trinity ANYWHERE in scripture.

NoseyMama

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is a controversal scripture. I dont believe in the trinity because after Jesus was baptized, God appeared from heaven publicly declaring and saying Jesus is his son. Gods testimony. Mark 1:11 Real simple and sound IMO.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Jesus said in John 17:5 "And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." Verse 22, same chapter, "..that they may be one, even as we are one." John 10:38 "...that you may know and believe the the Father is in me, and I in Him." Acts 2 and John 14 are full of evidence that the Holy Spirit was to come after Jesus died, and there is tons of evidence that this Holy Spirit was the same Jesus who was the incarnate Son of God, born of flesh and blood to the virgin Mary. And in Genesis in the story of the Creation, the use of the word "our" is confirmation that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were involved in the making of all that is. One verse that particularly confirms this is John 15:26 "...when the Comforter(aka Holy Spirit) is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• "..that they may be one, even as we are one." ^^^^

this shows perfectly that Jesus and God are not the same if his followers can also be one with them both. It means the can be in agreement Jesus adn God just as they are in agreement with each other.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• The Holy Scriptures tell us the personal name of the Father—Jehovah. They inform us that the Son is Jesus Christ. But nowhere in the Scriptures is a personal name applied to the holy spirit.
    Anonymous

• Matt. 26:39, RS: “Going a little farther he [Jesus Christ] fell on his face and prayed, ‘My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.’” If the Father and the Son were not distinct individuals, such a prayer would have been meaningless. Jesus would have been praying to himself, and his will would of necessity have been the Father’s will.

John 8:17, 18, RS: “[to the Pharisees] In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true; I [Jesus] bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me.” So, Jesus definitely spoke of himself as being an individual separate and distinct from the Father.
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 11:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Mark 13:32, RS: “Of that day or that hour no ones knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

Of course, that would not be the case if Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were coequal, comprising one Godhead. And if, as some suggest, the Son was limited by his human nature from knowing, the question remains, Why did the Holy Spirit not know?

JES xxx
    CosyMama

Answer by CosyMama at 11:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Jesus also said "The Father is in me as I am in the Father." Jesus also said "I AM" when on trial which was considered scandalous because "I AM" was God's name and not to be used by mere humans, so if Jesus wasn't a part of a Triune God, why would He bother saying that in the first place? He was always clear when He was speaking symbolically and He never said He was being symbolic here.

Also, the belief is that the love that flows between the Father and the Son is what the Holy Spirit is--they are 3 distinct personages but 1 Being--3 in 1 -- The Holy Trinity--also known as a MYSTERY since we cannot fully comprehend it.

There is a story in the Catholic about St. Augustine of Hippo (writer of the famous "Confessions") He was walking along the shore one day and saw a little boy that had a hole in the sand. He was going to the ocean and taking water from it and putting it in the hole...

(Cont...)
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• ...(cont.)

"...Augustine asked the little boy "What are you doing?" The little boy replied, "I am going to put the ocean into that hole." Augustine replied "How can you do that? The ocean is too big for that hole." The boy said, "I will get the ocean into that hole before you can comprehend the Holy Trinity." (Because he was contemplating that as he was walking on the beach).

So you see, it's a great mystery that are brains are too small to fully comprehend. God is HUGE--you can't fit Him in a box--He transcends and defeats ALL Boundaries.

So why wouldn't Jesus be one with God since He said He was? And why can't He also be a distinct being in spite of this union? After all, God is all-powerful and all-mighty. We may not always understand His ways.
    MamaBee07

• the father son & the holy spirit is the trinity from what i understand. What it interesting, is that there is a holy trinity in Hunduism too. Brama the creator, vishnu the preserver & shiva the destroyer.

It makes much more sense to me & i believe there is MANY scripture to back up that idea. But, once can interpret it anyway they want to i guess.

It the big scheme of things though....does it REALLY matter?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• lol, sorry about my typos...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2009