dry peeling skin on one nipple

I nursed dd for a year and now for the past 8 months, my right nipple continually gets dry skin thick enough to peel. Its patchy, but it isn't bleeding, yet it always comes back within a couple days. My OB didn't know what it was! The left side is fine. And trust me, after 8 months, I've tried every cream, oil, exfoliation etc. I'm just trying to find out what this is because I'm pregnant and don't want to nurse my second with a peely nipple.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• and I just heard back from the lactation consultant my ob told me to check with and she said this wasn't common but didn't know what it was so now I'm even more worried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Did you try vitamin e oil or coconut oil?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• both of mine are the same way and I have not breast fed a baby in almost 5 years. I don't know what it is either, honestly I haven't worried about it, I just figured it was due to being pregnant, but let me know what you find out.
    Gigi76825

Answer by Gigi76825 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I have tried everything and more that you can think of! I'm so stressed about this- I keep making calls and nobody has a clue. even freaking webmd doesn't have "peeling" or any semblace there of under the breast category! The only thing I can find that is even in the ballpark of what I have is cancerous- but thankfully it only really affects people over 50 so it shouldn't be that. Gigi- I will absolutely let you know, but apparently this isn't common, so you may want to get yourself checked. I put it off too, since I just kept thinking its only dry skin, but now that I'm having a second, I want this to clear up before I feel safe nursing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Do you have eczema on any other parts of your body? It could be that. It could also be an underlying thrush infection that could be just going on even since you stopped nursing. It COULD be pagets disease, but that is rare. I have the same symptoms, itching, peeling, flaking. But because mine is on both breasts, and I have eczema and keratosis pilaris on other parts of my body, plus I have had mammograms and ultrasounds and even a breast biopsy, I am not overly concerned about mine. I plan on mentioning it to my doctor at my next exam in March or April.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2009