What's going on with her eye?

My three-week old baby's left eye keeps getting all gooky. It's not red or anything and she's not fussing anymore than normal, so I don't think it's bothering her or is infected. Any ideas as to why it keeps getting all icky?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 10:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Blocked tear duct? My LO always had this problem until she was about 6 weeks old. Gently massage the corner of the eye with your pinky a few times a day.. Use warm compresses.. If no success with these techniques bring her to the doctors to have it checked out! Good luck! Just keep her eye gunk clean!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• if it is crusty then she cound have pink eye.... of just goopy then i agree with ali 1107. my baby is 4 months old and she still has a goopy eye.... sometimes she has a lot of tears out of that one eye for no reason.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 1:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My sons eyes were goopy and crusty at that age. I took him in and the dr said its the tear ducts learning to produce tears. It quit shortly after.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• just one more way the baby gets rid of all the gunk they have inside after living in the amniotic sack for all those months. =) probably nothing but if its concerning you, call a nurse or dr and they'll reassure you.
    Squeakette

Answer by Squeakette at 11:54 AM on Dec. 16, 2009