Extended Breastfeeders.....

Did your family and friends support it or did you hide it??
My mother does not support it at all....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would you even consider extended? Aren't babies supposed to start weaning around a year old? Isn't it crucial to get them to start trying to use utensils and cups on their own? Why would you do this? It's not like he can go to kindergarten still nursing....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Its fully supported by my family and friends, pp the WHO advices to breastfeed for at least two years, the question should really be: why give your children milk from another species when you are capable of giving them the best stuff there is?
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:48 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• First, extended breastfeeding is beyond two years. Second, you are the parent! You get to decide what is best for you and your child. Third, remind your family that the World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Ask your mother to find you scientific evidence proving her point.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I nursed till DS was 18 mos. My mom was extremely supportive, as she nursed both my sister and I for that long as well.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• LOL at the anonymous poster. My kids all used utensils WELL before the average child and strangers frequently commented on it...they were ALL breastfed well beyond 1 year and one to almost 3 years....egads! No...babies are not "supposed" to start weaning around 1 year. I am not sure what kindergarten has to do with extended breastfeeding. Geez...the ignorance.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Oh...and for the OP...I guess I wouldn't not worry about it. It isn't her child or her breast and it is none of her business. If she nags you about it I would just say that until she actually educates herself on the subject you won't discuss it with her. My mom made frequent comments when I was still nursing my 1st at 15 months...."Don't you think you need to be weaning". I just asked her "Why" and ignored her. Strangely, she never had an answer to "why".
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 11:04 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Isn't it hilarious how uneducated some people are? Anon:46, you really embarrass yourself.

I am still nursing my 2.5 DS, GASP. No, I never thought it would go this long, but here we are. Research tells me I'm doing exactly what *he* needs right now. My DD self-weaned at 13 months, I thought it would be that easy with DS too, but thinking about it, NOTHING has been as easy with DS, LOL. He's a handful. Anyway...my DH is supportive, although we are both ready for it to come to an end, but even my best friends are a bit put off by it at this point and I do hide it from my family. Its sad that something so innocent and nurturing and NATURAL makes uptight people uncomfortable. I know that before this happened to me it probably would have ooged me out too, so unless you've been there, you really should.not.comment.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Anon you need to read up on extended breastfeeding and breastfeeding in general. Breastfeeding does not lose it's benefits at a year nor are you "suppose to" stop at a year. It is recommended to breastfeed until at least 2 years or until mother and child mutually agree.

OP I am sorry your mother gives you such a hard time. What are her comments? How often do you see her? Perhaps we can help you handle her criticism and give you the confidence you need to continue until you and baby are ready. I breastfed until DS self weaned and I had a lot of support from everyone in my family.  I was very lucky.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Um what does Bf'ing have to do with the ability to use utensils or feed themselves? My 9 month old feeds himself food with his hands (varying table food) VERY WELL, no utensils yet but he WILL. lol.
    I intend to let him self-wean. That could be extended (after 2) or before, it all depends on what he needs.

My family is mostly supportive NOW.. after I've now thrown pages upon pages of info at some of them on how beneficial breastfeeding (extended too) is for both of us. The only family that still isn't nice about it is my son's great-gma and his gpa on SO's side because ggmas' not quite right in the head anymore and gpa is just annoying. They have made me uncomfortable to nurse at get togethers by being rude but I do it anyway.

Any logical person could see the benefits and quickly dismiss their preconceived notions about it. And if the person is illogical and can't, then why would I care what they think anyway??
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:23 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I guess if it were my mother it'd be harder, but I'd still just chalk it up to something we disagree about and ignore what she says about it. If YOU KNOW you are doing something right, I don't see why you should listen to someone who doesn't believe you unless they show you recent unbiased journal articles about WHY what you are doing is wrong.

If your mom told you to put your baby in an unsafe carseat (say, one that is expired and has a broken button) because she thinks it is safe and thinks it is a good idea for you to just save hassle and money getting a new carseat.. this one is perfectly fine.. what's the matter with you? etc. and was unrelenting about this.. Wouldn't you just be like "Mom, we're just going to have to agree to disagree and I am his/her mother and I will make decisions about my babies safety and life! The end!"

Say the same and feel the same about BF'ing. It's a similar predicament. :)

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2009