Is this normal or just annoying?

My 6 year old neice sounds everything out! Or sometimes she will hear a word while watching TV and go mmm ooo uuu for mouse for example. The whole time she watches TV.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um, it's how they learn Dearie. Don't fault her on this. It's a very good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• That's how they learn. It IS annoying, but it's normal!!
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 10:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• She is 6 years old which means she is probably in first grade and they learn to spell things by sounding them out and they learn to read by sounding each individual letter out.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It is totally normal and exciting!!!! She is being to read which is awesome and you should encourage more of it!!!
    raymajill

Answer by raymajill at 12:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• it's normal AND annoying! There were quite a few times when I would just have to walk away from my son when he would do stuff like that......it's great that they are learning but I always felt like 'do you have to do with EVERY word!!??"
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It is how a person learns how to read. It may be annoying but don't discourage her, it is better than her asking someone what every words is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2009