My doc said that my test results came back elevated and i need to take the 3 hour glucose test. Anyone else have this happen., any adivce?

I am obese, so i know i am at more of a risk for gestational diabetes. I weighed 237 before pregnany, and i weigh 290 now, im at 36 weeks. What is the treatment. Could it be because i eat a lot of sweets, cake, icecream etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had that test too. I had to stay at the lab afterwards to be monitored for reactions. Finally hours later with no reaction at all I was allowed to leave. A while after I got home I started very badly shaking and feeling dizzy. Immediately I called my ob cause I was really scared. They called the lab and said everything was ok and just breathe slowly through that ongoing episode and to lay down and rest.

I strongly suggest that you have someone with you incase you get a reaction right away or on the way home, a delayed reaction like I had at my house after I left the lab with no reactions when I left.

Cut back on your sugars and control that cut back - keep up on it. Although you want that all that sugar, the baby doesn't need it.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I had that happen. I'm also over weight. But when I went in for my three hour test everything came back normal. My doctor said that the first test is just a general test, if anything comes back positive they do the second one. She said on the second one that there are specific criteria you have to meet and it's much more through. Good luck!!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i had all the glucose tests just to be told i didnt have gestational diabetes. i was not overwieght, my sugar just ran a little high i guess. this time they want me to do the 1 hour test now (9 weeks) bc im overwieght. dont stress about it.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• i had the one hour at 8 weeks, failed it. so i did the 3 hour and it came back fine. did the 3 hour again at 28 weeks and it was fine as well. the one hour has less specific criteria for a positive test than the three hour so you very well could be just fine. 53 pounds is a lot to gain for a woman of your size though. might be you have GD, maybe blood pressure issues. then again you could be perfectly fine. good luck and I hope it is the perfectly fine option!
    Anonymous