NO DADDY!!!!!!

So my son just turned 2 Nov 8th. This past weekend, he wanted nothing to do with his Daddy... everything was NO, Daddy!!! and it was said with a scowl. He wouldn't let him hug or kiss him or anything, which is very unlike him. But it also made my husband feel bad. I told him its not ok to talk to Daddy that way and made him say he was sorry and give him a hug and kiss. I don't know why he's doing that but then he also told his grandma to "get away ma" which again, I told him was not ok and made him say he was sorry. We are not rude or unkind to each other or our family. Is this normal for this age?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Our 2-year-old is doing the same thing to both my DH and I! Everything is, "NO, momma!" and "No, dada!" Even when I walk in on her when she is about to get into something she knows is a 'no no', she sees me walk in and gets angry. She scowls and says, "No momma! Get out!" Like I'M the one who is in trouble! Its been a challenge in our home over the last 2 weeks. I hope its just a phase. I don't know where she learned this behavior... I'm a SAHM and my DH and I don't ever disagree in front of her.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My kid went through it a month or two ago he is almost 2. He stopped in a week.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Did your DH discipline him lately? That might be the issue. Or he is just being 2.

Answer by louise2 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My daugther did it but her father didn't pay much attention to her when she was small. Now they are good friends and she doesn't say it anymore. : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• its normal. Kids go thorugh favorite stages here and there. At some point there may be a period were only daddy can do right.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Even small children need their personal space. If they respect his space and let him go to them when he's ready for a hug or kiss then it will go over better. The little boy's feelings need to be valued and they should not let it hurt the adult's feelings. Maybe dad's whiskers poke the child...you never know That is why my youngest wouldn't let her dad hug her, whisker burns hurt. Maybe they have bad breath. Do either one drink? My dd hated when my neighbor got close bc he drank beer and the small made her sick. We just never know but it can be worked out.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:24 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Daddy is usually the one who makes him laugh and is silly., that's what I am confused about and my husband really wants to be around our son - I tell him he cant' take it personally but I probably would be taking it personally too - I mean, he can't even sit by him or look at him without max getting upset. ugh.. Am I right to not let him get away with talking like this to people and making him say he's sorry? and do time outs? I know it could be a phase but its also not nice and I don't want him to talk to people this way. We don't argue or disagree with each other in front of him either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2009