your managers bday(what would u do)

all the managers at my job make a big deal over each others bday and they want the employees to pitch in and give money to buy a nice gift...well for the employees the managers have a handful that they even recognize and even say happy bday to...nobody even bothered to tell me happy bday this year..and when one of the managers asked me to chip in for the others bday i just kinda felt like it was pretty crappy... i gave her 2 dollars and said sorry but i had alot of stuff coming up and thats all i could put in on it (i honestly didnt even want to give shit) plus i think she sucks. what would you do in these situations..this is not the only thing. My one manager up and told everyone that we are having a holiday secret santa party and everyone must draw a name and buy a 20 dollar gift! I mean, i'm already spent having to buy for all my family and i don't care for 1 person in that place! It should be for people who cont..

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• who only want to participate. I just hate how they make all these decisions for everyone.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• What would I do? I would go to my boss. I would explain to him/her. I will not be participating in the gift or money give. Ever. That I do not think it should be mandatory. I have bills to pay with my money.

Answer by louise2 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It should be optional. That sucks. Would anyone notice if you just quietly didn't participate?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Thats alot of pressure. Is there a store policy that says holiday Secret Santa is manditory? Really it should be optional. I would start off by saying..."I know gift exchanging is fun and I would like to attend but I dont feel comfortable with........." or "I wanted to ask your advice about the party. I am not certain about attending. Do you think its possible that I dont bring a gift and......" GL
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We have a rule. We don't pay into things like that. Our money is ours.

Two reasons for this... if we liked the person enough to get a gift, we'd get a gift. This isn't usually the case, but it if were, and the combined present is good enough, we might consider it... but still probably not.

The other part... when it comes to Secret Santa, most gifts are not to our liking. We have religious reasons for not drink coffee, tea, or alcohol, and we find a lot of adult-gag gifts to be distasteful. These seem to make a decent portion of gifts at exchanges. We don't need $20 of candy, and if we did, we'd go and buy our favorites. At the same time, we're more than happy to sit on the sidelines and let the party happen around us.

The only way we'd change our minds on this is if it were optional. If you tell me it's mandatory, but it's not in my employment contract, I'm going to tell you that you can give me a $20 raise to pay for it.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• exactly..i mean my feelings would be hurt if i went and bought someone a thoughtful gift..something nice and they showed up with something distasteful like you said...its a waste of my money!!!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009