christmas dinner help

So I am hosting christmas dinner for 20+ people and my mother in law is one of those people she is very hard to please and I want to make a good impression. I have never done christmas dinner on my own and have no ideal what to serve I am doing a ham and a roast, but other then mash potatoes and gray and green bean cass. I have no ideal what to make. I am a good cook just need some good ideals. Any ideals would be helpful for side dishes and snacks desserts. Thank you.

vanessa1208

Asked by vanessa1208 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• I always enjoy a good cheesecake. Make some bread like biscuits. Sweet potato casserole? Stuffing?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Pineapple for the ham might be nice. A nice green salad with all the fixings. Gravy. Cinnamon bread would be yummy and would smell great. Some Christmas cookies to munch on. Some jello and fruit for the kids. Some squash and zucchini is good and festive. Baked sweet potatoes or butternut squash with butter and brown sugar, yum. Also All recipies.com might give you some more ideas and recipies.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Serving a salad on a platter always looks nice. Spread out spinach leaves or whatever lettuce you are using on a large platter and sprinkle all the extras on top and serve with a small ptcher full of dressing.

Also dont worry about totally pleasing her! Of course you want to do your best and serve a good meal but have fun with it too! Im sure you will do great!

I love 7 layer bars for dessert..have a crust and chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, sweetend condensed milk, coconut...not sure what else but so yummy!!
    Apple Pie is nice in the winter, a birthday cake for Jesus is fun!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Congratulations of your first family meal! A second vegetable, plain, like brussel sprouts or a color-appropriate plain veggie would show you are thoughtful to those who do not like the famous green bean cassarole. A cherry-raisen sauce on the side for the ham, an ice bucket of some kind, 2 desserts )one chocolate, one not). Call your MIL and ask for a recipe of something your hubby really likes, like a side dish or dessert.==she'll be thrilled that you called!
    Lauries_Mom

Answer by Lauries_Mom at 1:43 AM on Dec. 16, 2009