Doggy hives...

So my dog Roxy (who I've had for about 7 years) is suddenly breaking out in hives every couple of weeks. Can't figure out why. She's been on the same food since I've had her, she doesn't have any fleas I can see, no new detergent, NOTHING has changed... This is really starting to wear on me, have to take her to the vet every time (usually the emergency vet, at that), and I can't afford to pay $200 every time this happens... Anybody have ANY idea what could be causing this all of a sudden???

Anouck

Asked by Anouck at 11:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Pets

• http://www.dog-health-guide.org/caninehives.html

Maybe this will help.. Hope your baby's better soon!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You might need to change the food. Even though you have not changed it the food itself could have changed. You might try giving the dog Benidryl when she breaks out. What are you feeding her?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I don't think it's the food... If it was, she'd constantly be breaking out, no? As it is, it only happens once every couple of weeks... She's been getting Beneful adult dog food for as long as I've had her... And I have benadryl, which is something I give her after she gets the benadryl shot from the doctor. Just giving her the pill when she breaks out doesn't do anything. She has a pretty extreme reaction, she's literally COVERED in hives, and sometimes her face and legs swell up, too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Hmm...could it be a cleaning product like a floor cleaner? I'm just trying to think of things your dog would be in contact with every few weeks. You're not using any powder like Arm & Hammer before vacuuming or anything are you?

You're right about a food allergy though - if they're allergic they'd react everytime. That's the way allergies work.
    Anonymous

• I did use a pretty heavy duty floor cleaner on my kitchen tiles yesterday... But not the previous 3 times. And she wasn't anywhere near the kitchen till after it had all been mopped up and dried. But maybe... Other than that, no, I don't use anything when vacuuming. Hmm... wonder if it was the tile cleaner. Thanks!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I would still look at the food. Beneful is a VERY LOW quality food. You might want to check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews and find a food that rates between 4 and 6 stars. High quality foods may cost more up front, but they are A LOT better for your dog. Plus you will have to feed a lot less so in the long run, it will cost about the same or may even come out cheaper.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Could be the tile cleaner....could be so many things. I would ask my vet about the safe dosage for her size on Benadryl. My weiner dog is allergic to bees. We found out when he snapped one out of the air and it stung him in the mouth and he broke out in hives. We actually saw him snap the bee out of the air. We took him to the vet and vet told us the dose on the Benadryl. It has happened again since and the Benadryl really did the trick. No more ER visits for his doggy hives now.
    Anonymous

• Ugh, I WISH I could just give her the benadryl and be done with it... But I can't. I specifically asked the Dr about it, and he said we can give her a tablet if the hives don't go down about 5-6 hours after the shot, but apparently her reaction is severe enough to warrant the actual shot, and she wouldn't recover with just the tablet. Then again, maybe it's different with small dogs, we're talking about a 100lbs monster here, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You can give benedryl or put benedryl cream on the hives
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2009