Do you spend ALL your money on the kids?

At Christmas, my husband and I always spend all of our money on our son. He's 8 and in all honesty, hasn't been the greatest kid this year. So I decided that we had gone without long enough and we're going to get us the things we want this year too and of course, we're still getting him gifts, but because of his attitude and lack of respect, we're going to get us some things that we really wanted this year too.. So do you spend most of your money on the kids or do you and your husband get things you want as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I get things for us as well. Just not as much. For example we haven't finished shopping yet (small curious one's in the house is why we are waiting to finish shopping, lol) so under the tree right now there are about 6 things for each kid and like one ot two for us. But then again ours cost more too. So really we spend about one third of our budget on us and the rest on the kids. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I got my son something that was pretty big. $200. Before you bash, my family is doing a secret santa and that will be the only gift he will get. So we're only getting one person in the family something and my son is the only kid other than my sisters step son. I saved money from working for six months to get him something he'd like. When I didn't work and we lived off of his income, my son got simple things.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• my kids get the most money ...but we each spend atleast 200 on each other...plus we buy for others like our parents, grandparents, siblings, family secret santa, his work, etc.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Even if we were millionaires my kids would only get a handful of gifts. I would never spend a huge amount of money on them, because even if they were angels that year they don't need to be spoiled. My husband and I always buy for one another each year. Even if it's only things we need. We never forget one another.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We don't buy for each other (usually). I don't see a point in it. We also don't buy for other adults except a gift for my dad from the kids. We do spend all our money on the kids BUT we don't spend that much. We cap it at $100 per kid and try to keep it under that. This year we also capped the # of toys. Each kid is getting 2 gifts from us. We spent $50 on our 9yo, $40 on our 8yo and the 2 younger girls got combined gifts totaling $160 or so (so about $80 each). They are 7 and 3.
    There were also stocking stuffers ($5-$10 per kid but I might get a few other things). And the rest was family stuff for everyone. 4 board games, 1 card game and a Wii with an extra game.
    We actually spent more this year then usual because of the Wii.
    We also get gift cards for my friend's 3 kids and a birthday gift for her youngest. And we usually get a gift card for my 9yo's BFF (I've known the family for 20+ years).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We get stuff for each others stockings little stuff like soap shavers & candy. We are not really a gifting couple we like to spend our money on fun dates. We do spend mostly on the kids and family. Last year DH forgot to get me stuff so on x-mas eve he went to the gas station and got me air freshners a car scraper and a pack of black and milds (cigars) I was pregnant so that didn't go over to well and I really don't think Santa condones smoking. HAHA
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 1:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Well between all the birthdays this month and the holiday there is never enough left for dh and I to get each other anything and even with that we never get the children more then one gift each for the holiday or birthdays. No matter how much money we might have we still would not ever get them any more then one.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 3:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2009