pku testing?

I know that they do a pku test while the baby is still in the hospital but they also need a second one after they get home, the problem is, no one told me how long after he gets home that he needs another one, i have all the paper work for it but no dates to bring him in....so my question is.....when do i need to take him back for his next pku test...thanks for your help...
i had him 12-7-09

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• his 2 week appt
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 1:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We've never had a second PKU test done.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It's the first test that is useless. Baby needs to have had eaten so they shouldn't do the test before 48-36 hours after birth. That's why the do the second, because the first has a high false reading rate. The first test should be done by the third day (if breastmilk hasn't come in yet waiting a day or two more is okay) and if not by then, then by 7-10 days after birth. But it can be done after that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My dr did my sons second at a week
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2009