Tell me we can make it, just need some reasurance right now!!

I feel so overwhelmed. WE have 4 kids, one on the way. DH lost his job last may, so now we wer now both working full time, just barely making what he was before. We've applied for foodstamps, applied for medicade for the kids, going in for a wic appt. I just feel like the world is caving in on us. We had to make a rash move and put a deposit and 1 mo rent on a new place because we have to be out of this place within a few days. So we have no money left, and I've been feeding the kids oatmeal and chix pretty much for a week now. I only eat their left overers and dh is only eating dinner.
I keep thinking, things will get better and dh can go back to work doign what he was doing....managing a restraunt... but everytime well drive through town more and more places are closing.

I'm scared, if we can make it through till taxes we will be set, but thats 2 mo away. And I applied for assitance 3 weeks ago and....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• they still tell us they are processing. THings just are not getting better. I don't know what to do.
    Anonymous

• You will make it. When I left my ex I took my two daughters and rented an appartment barely big enough for one person. I got a job in a video club for 4.50/hour and with that money I had to pay for rent, baby food, gas etc. So, the girls were 9 months and I ate from their food too most of the time. We lived like that until the girls were 17 months. One day a lady came with her two kids in the video club and we started talking and I told her about our situation and she asked me if I have any qualification. I told yes, and she offered me a job in Manhattan- 6,000 $ per month. My daughters and I have been living in a nice place in Manhattan and I'm a manager and I have job insurance for life.

I was not expecting it and I was alone!

There's 2 of you, thing wil get better. It's just two months, you can make it, I promise!
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 1:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Call the wic office and ask them were can u get assistance with dipers and babyfood and they will point you in the righ direction, call H&W and ask them if they can give you food vouchers and ask them were you can find food banks, there are places were you can get cloths food etc. etc. you just have to make some phone calls, a lot of people are going through this right now trust me were we live threre are a ton of homelesss people, you just have to call around, also try calling cathlic churches they always help the people in need, good luck momma hope everything works out!!!
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Be patient... It is going to be okay. You need to go to food banks. We have them here every week. You go in with all your info and they will help you with food. It isn't wic or food stamps. this place just donates food.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Op here, I worry about my hsuband so much. He has become so depressed lately. He talks about being a faliure. I dont' see it that way at all. He wass managing a restraunt and he worked his way up there with no college education and before he lost his job was making $3000 a month plus a monthly profit bonus. He did that from a low level nothing to a manager in 1 year. I worry about him giving up. I Know that he is not taking his meds right. He is a diabetic and I started checkign his meter. his bs is allwyas above 200 when i check it. I'm scared. If something happens to him, we are screwed. IF the economy was back to "normal" we could both have great paying jobs... uhg, we have thought about movign, but we jsut don't have the funds for that either.
    Anonymous

• Your husband is a very good one and a very good dad for thinking that way. But you need to tell him that feeling like that is not helping, it just makes the situation harder for all of you. Sounds like a really nice man so he'll understand.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 1:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You can get food from the food banks at local churches. Check with all your resources and see if they can set you in the right direction. Some states even have money grants to help families out till unemployment or other services kick in. You can make it Mama. First things first make sure to check your food banks and church.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:14 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• We struggle in order to succeed. We go through the bad/tough times to get to the good. I know things appear dismal and bleak right now, but good things are to come ! I know what its like to struggle with very little cash, to let the little ones eat and eat what they left! I prayed for a change for the better. Things aren't perfect, money's still tight, but we can eat as a family. I hate to go there but; try food pantries until you get you p/a decision. Just try to keep your future in focus, never loose sight of your hopes and dreams, keep encouraging dh(even when he doesn't want to hear, just don't be pushy), remind him of for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, that you're sticking by his side no matter what and that his efforts prove how much of a good man/dad he is! Good luck, best wishes, and throw your burden upon God for now(until you and yours are strong enough to cope with it on your own again!).
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Do you have a United Way in your area? They can direct you to all sorts of emergency assistance to help you until your aide comes through! Hang in there you will find the strength to get through!!! here is the website to find a united way in your area http://www.liveunited.org/myuw/local.cfm
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2009