Are your kids average or above average in height and weight for their age group?

My two boys are about average in height and weight. They are not overweight, but just bigger in general.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Both my kids are very tall, over 90th for height, my daughter is a bit above avg for weight and my son is a bit below avg for weight.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My older boys are a bit above average in height, but super skinny. So roughly in the 60th percentile for height and about 20th for weight. My youngest is a shrimpy guy and about 10th for height and weight.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:01 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Yes both my children are my son is 6 years old and is 4 ft 7
    My daughter is 7 1/2 months old and is 30 inches and 22 lbs.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• 15 yr daughter - short, average weight for an athlete (she has my mil's broad shoulders and my muscular thighs)
    13 yr son - average height, less than average weight (he can only fit into super skinny jeans)
    8 yr duaghter - totally average

But then I am talking what 'average' should be for a healthy child. Not a true American average which is actually more than a child should weigh. LOL - makes me think of the 'average' women which is like a 12 or something.. ugh that is NOT healthy unless you are a very tall woman!
    Anonymous

• It's hard to say these days because parents stuff their kids with so much food that it seems like obesity is the norm.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• The average weight for a 10 year-old-boy in 1963 was 74.2 pounds; by 2002 the average weight was nearly 85 pounds.

The average weight for a 10-year-old girl in 1963 was 77.4 pounds; by 2002 the average weight was nearly 88 pounds.

A 15-year-old boy weighed 135.5 pounds on average in 1966; by 2002 the average weight of a boy that age increased to 150.3 pounds.

A 15-year-old girl weighed 124.2 pounds on average in 1966; by 2002 the average weight for a girl that age was 134.4 pounds.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is under average. She is 2 and she is only 23lbs and short. (her height and weight even out) and my son is 6 months old and weighs just about 20lbs!!! lol I'm not sure if thats average or not...haven't had his 6 mo check up yet. =) But he was a big boy...to me anyway. He was 8lbs 7.3oz and my daughter was only 7lbs 4oz
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• OP here. I meant above average. How ironic lol
    Anonymous

• I just hate that word average. Because not every kid is the same. What might be normal height and weight for one child may not be the normal height and weight for another. If doctors are going to compare a child's weight to someone it should be their parents when they were that age. Not other children. It's all about genetics, not how other kids are made.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• OP here. Interesting info anon:08. I agree Imogine. I don't like the word average either. I am taller as well and will always fit in the overweight category on those BMI charts. Totally inaccurate. But yeah, it's ashame obesity is becoming 'the norm' in this country. Soon it will be hard to find regular clothing for kids, husky sizes are taking all the room.
    Anonymous