How long does it take?

I just started putting my 20 month old son in a toddler bed. How long does it usually take for a child to actually stay in the bed and not get out? Right now he's only in it for his naps and it has been taking over an hour and half to get him settled in and actually asleep. Are there any tricks or is it simply going to take time and patience?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 2:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine always did ok...BUT the first few weeks its all new so they would get up here and there and tp a certain degree I let them as they kinda explore the new freedom . But just be patient and remind them they need to saty in bed its night night time. I have yet to transition the youngest she is 20mos.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You could read him a story that way he can get comfortable.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Chloe never has and probably never will stay for nap time. She plays and when she gets tired gets in her bed and goes to sleep. At NIGHT she only got out the first night because she was crying at the door, after that she never gets out of her bed at night.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• is he still in the crib for bedtime? My son JUST got put in a toddler bed last weekend cause we saw him try to climb out, mentally I don't think he would have been ready any sooner than it happened.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• really it depends on you. EAch child is different. but our kids it was usually a week with us being consistant. OUr youngest can crawl in and out of his packn play, so we will be moving to a big boy bed soon, but I don't think it will take long since he does good now and can crawl in and out without any issues as it is.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Just out of curiosity, did you just move him for fun or for a reason? I know some people end up having to move their young kids if they have climbers, but I think if you can avoid doing it early, you should. My girls didn't move until they were about 2.5 (though they really never climbed out) and they stayed in bed from the beginning once they moved -- they were fully capable of getting in and out on their own, but just didn't -- they treated it like a crib. I actually had to train them to get out of bed when they had to go potty). We did a twin bed, though, not a toddler bed.
    Anonymous

• To answer the anon question, we are having a baby very soon and need the crib. I want to give my son a couple of months of just being in his own bed without the crib before moving the baby into it.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2009