Buddhists

Do you have a holiday tree up? Do you celebrate any holidays either religiously or secular?
DS1 is always asking me questions about Buddhism and i bought him some books about it for Christmas this year, and i'm positive he'll be asking questions soon about their holidays. (he's 5 years old)

Also, DH's brother said that he would like to learn about Zen Buddhism. He is 17 years old. Any gift suggestions that aren't too expensive?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 2:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Buddhist and do celebrate Christmas as well. We do have a Christmas tree up, and I also have a Bodhi tree, which I celebrated on Bodhi Day (Dec 8th.) Bodhi Day commemorates the enlightenment of the Buddha as he sat in meditation under the Bodhi tree, on this day many Buddhists will decorate a ficus tree with multicoloured lights (different colours representing various dharmic paths), with strings of beads (symbolizing the interbeing of all phenomenon) and shiny or jeweled ornaments (representing the Three Jewels: the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha.) In terms of gifts for someone interested in Zen Buddhism, I would recommend a book... there are a number of great Buddhist reads out there. The monk Thich Nhat Hahn is a good writer and a great into to Buddhism is his book The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. Can't go wrong with books IMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Does he want books about Zen Buddhism? I love amazon for books at great prices: Books list Zen Buddhism.

And I have this book Guide to Zen Living, it's pretty cool, though I haven't finished it yet.

Here is a list of Buddhist holidays and kids book reviews... in fact this whole site looks really helpful!

Amlimommy

Answer by Amlimommy at 3:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Most Budhist are Christians and celebrate Christmas just the same.
    Anonymous

• As for the contention that mosts Buddhists are Christian, I do feel the need to treat this comment as serious and point out that this is not necessarily so. However it may be fair to say that because there is nothing inherent to Buddhism that discourages practicing a variety of celebration, a lot of Western Buddhists may continue to celebrate holidays traditional to their families. Hence you will find Buddhists who celebrate Christmas, or Hannukah, or Yule. Most Western Buddhists that I know do celebrate common 'Western' holidays in some form.. however most Christians would tell you there is more to being Christian then celebrating Christmas!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Most buddhists are christian, what an odd statement. Thre's no reason why buddhists can't be christian, but the core odea's of both religions really don't match.
    I celebrate christmas, easter, eid, hannukah etc because i have friends of all religions, and anjoy sharing their holidays.

Most buddhists are buddhists, not christian.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:57 AM on Dec. 15, 2009