How do you know when your 2year old is ready for potty training?

I've tried two times and each time he would hold it till he just couldn't hold it no more. He understands when mommy goes to bathroom and sometimes will bring a diaper up to us when he poops. should i gibe him more time or what?

nickchick

Asked by nickchick at 3:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he is holding it thats a good sign he might be ready! does he know what the potty is? have you explained in simple terms the poo poo and pee pee go in the potty? if you see signs he is holding it in, ask if he has to go pee pee or poo poo, quickly take him to the potty and let him know to sit on it and put it in the there. remember...accidents happen!
    Anonymous

• my dd was ready at 18mts and here is what she was doing, she would let me know when her diaper was dirty, she also would hide when she 6was going,. she was taking her pants off. i got her potty train by 24. it took a little longer to naptime potty train but by 30 mts she went to undies 24/7
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• If he can hold it, he's at least physically ready... and I'm not a big believer that potty training causes major emotional turmoil that many kids aren't ready for at 2 or 3.. so I say go for it! If the problem is that he's holding it too long to stay on the potty, I would not have him just sit there at all... instead, put him in underwear (throw away the diapers or put them away for night and naps, but symbolically throw them away), and wait until he starts to have an accident, THEN move him there. He'll have to go eventually. If you move him to the potty every time he pees or poops, he'll get it. If diapers are not being made available as an alternative, he'll prefer the potty to his pants. If you're consistent and reward him (praise and SMALL rewards) when he makes it in even a little bit, I bet he's trained in a couple of days (some kids take longer because they have to train their bodies to hold it; yours does already.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2009