Why do people always talk about going to college so they can get a good paying job?

I have never been to college and I make $20.00 an hours. I have always been against the saying "If you don't go to college you will end up working at mcdonalds" If it wasn't for people who worked at those places, not just mcdonalds but walmart, best buy, etc. you wouldn't have anywhere to buy stuff like that... I am thankful to those people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well my husband went to college and makes 250k a year plus bonus. His company only hires college graduates. Most who do go to college on average make more than those without a degree. I was making 150k a year before I quit to be a SAHM again no degree I would have made about half of what I did. My husband only works 40 hours a week and never works weekends. I think the college degree helps people work smarter not harder.
    Anonymous

• Many of the people working in those places have 4 year degrees. They weren't suited for their career choices or ended up in B school (business).
    Anonymous

• I, personally, think that thought process stems from how society makes it appear that way. Its one of those things that you are raised to think...must go to college, will make better life/money if you do...when it truth it isnt necessarily like that anymore.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I am also grateful for people who do jobs that support society, but I am happy with my college degree. Granted, I'm also a SAHM, so it's not making a big financial difference right now, but it does make a difference in my life overall. I will be encouraging my children to choose a career path and go to college in a field that will help them with their careers. I won't be telling them that there is anything wrong with working at McDonald's, Wal-Mart, etc., because there isn't... but a college degree can help a lot with stability and creating the kind of life you want for yourself and your family.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• You can absolutely have a good career without a college degree, but you have more career options if you have one.
    Anonymous

• Give me a break. $20 an hour really isn't that great. Thats just $41,000 a year. There would be people to work the Best Buy, McDonald's kinds of jobs they are called teenagers/people in college/retirees. Besides most people who never went to college make more like $8-$12 an hour. You happen to be lucky to make your measly $40,000 a year. Be thankful for what you have and stop belittling people who actually want to better themselves.
    Anonymous

• You have a better chance of getting a good paying job with a college degree.

There are people who make good money with out a degree... but why take that chance/

Curious - what do you do?
    Anonymous

• $20 an hour is $41,600 a year..... I dont consider that good money.
    Anonymous

• I design databases, do data entry and other random things... I am so happy with what I make anon :42. It's only measly to rude people like you.

OP
    Anonymous

• Pay is dependent on where you live. I thought everybody knew that. Where I live, recent college graduates can earn up to $10 per hour right out of school. Many of them write in to the newspaper complaining about the low pay in this area so I have heard it many times. If you live in a larger metropolitan area, you can probably make closer to $20 working at McDonald's or WalMart. If you don't like big cities you do the best you can.
    Anonymous