My 4 1/2 Month Old

So my doctor had me start her on rice cereal which she seems to be loving. However my pedi didn't mention anything about trying anything else. Do I wait to offer other 1st foods til later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i didn't listen to my dr when it came to food...i know, i know....but i started the cereal about 3 1/2 months....started stage 1 baby food by 4...stage 2 at 6 or 7 and stage 3 by 9...she loved them! at 1 year, i started her on "big people food" obviously really soft stuff....mased potatoes were always her fave. my opinion is that if you want to try it then go ahead. just watch your baby carefully and if it seems like she doesn't seem to respond well then pull back a little.
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Actually, waiting until your child is 6 months or older to start solids (which includes cereal) is best for their digestive tract. Most doctors don't know much of anything when it comes to infant nutrition. And unless you feel the need to support Gerber, Beech Nut, etc, then there is no need to feed your baby pureed foods. My daughter is 8 months old and she eats what we eat. She picks it up and feeds herself. How many times has she choked? Once. Has she learned to take smaller bites? Yep. But mainly it is about trusting your gut and knowing your baby.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• I started my oldest at 4 months and I'm fixing to start my youngest, who is that age now. I just do cereal for breakfast and continue with nursing other times. Then at about 6 months I started to feed him lunch, and then a month later supper. I feel like you can do whatever your child will want, they'll let you know if they aren't ready yet. I never bought gerber, ect. I just blended up carrots, or green beans, ect. They eventually start wanting what you eat, and so on. I never had any doctor tell me when or not to. So, Good Luck!!!
    momacowgirl

Answer by momacowgirl at 3:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My son had his first bite of real food (mashed potatoes) at 3 months old, and he took off from there. Everything we ate, he ate. He'd cry if he didn't get real food. He's not overweight, he's just in the 97th percentile for height and 95th for weight.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• At 4 mo my ped started my boy on cereal. She said do cereal for a week then it should be safe to start veggies one at a time for 3 to 5 days each to watch for a reaction. When done with all veggies she said do the same with fruit, and then meats.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2009