7 year old has a hard time behaving at school...he talks too much and likes to silly...obviously not the end of the world but our discipline techniques aren't helping...any good ideas out there?

For the last 2 years the rule is if he has a "green" day (behaved well) he can play with whatever he wants (within reason) , "blue" (had to be spoken to), he can have toys but no electronics (tv, video games), "yellow", only books and red is the worst and that's case by case and only happens a couple times per year.... these just don't seem to do him any good. In other words I feel like they aren't making him try to improve his behavior. He's a great student, it's his behavior that isn't very good.....help?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like he might be academically gifted. Usually AG students act up because they are not challenged, finish their work before everyone else, or become easily bored. He may need a more advanced curriculum which will help with behavior. Not sure what his school offers, but it might be worth looking into.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• ITA! I was going to suggest that as well.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Well it's very possible that he's bored with the work - he is definitely above the other kids in his class academically - HOWEVER he is a bit below them socially...this is what keeps us from trying to move him up a grade. He is already in the accelerated reading class which meets twice a week...I guess you could say he's a bit unbalanced in this way, above academically, below socially...He just likes to act SO silly and babyish...when he is interested in what they are doing he can be very mature, but as soon as they are out in the hall trying to line up or doing anything like that he just wants to act out and get attention. Again, I realize this is not a HUGE deal, we are just a little discouraged that 2 years into school he is still having the exact same issues....
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• That might be because he is with children that act that way. Maybe him being around an older class will make him thrive and be a little more grown socially.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

He might just need a different punishment. My son is in the Gifted program and even though he was bored he did not act up. Your child has very easy consequences that probably don't matter all that much to him. Make them serious consequences for the first card turned. My brilliant son has never had a card turned and knows when he misbehaves there are actual consequences.
    Anonymous

• Anon please let me know what these "serious" consequences are that you are using...I thought losing toy priveledges would be major to him...you're right - it doesn't seem to matter but what else can I do???
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2009