Why do some people want their babies to stay babies for too long?

I babysit a little boy who turned 2 in September. He still has a pacifier, still takes a bottle at nap and bedtime and still has to be fed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• when i first read your question i was like, i still want my babies to be babies, then i opened it up. now that's a different story, they are crippling that kid, he's going to be a whiny baby for a long time. My 2 yr old, feeds himself, hasnt used a bottle in over a year and that pacifier went out the window at 10mths.
    Anonymous

• I feel that way about my baby. He's 4 and he's my last. I'd like his babyhood to last a little longer. There's plenty of time to grow up. Right now he's still my baby. (He does everything a 4 year old should, don't get me wrong. He's out of diapers and writes his name and all that). I'm just in no hurry to see him grow up. At 2 he had a bottle and diapers too. I think it's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Everyone wants their babies to stay little but not allowing them to mature is just sad.
    My cousin will not allow her almost three year old son to wear panties or use the potty. She won't let anyone potty train him even though he wants to and goes to the potty and sits on it and is obviously ready. It is very weird. She also forces him to breastfeed still "for the nutrients" even though he turns three next month and he really doesn't want to. He turns his head away and says No milk, cup! If your kid doesn't want to breast feed at 3 let it go. She is really hurting him.
    Anonymous

• because maybe they dont want to have more but dont want to let the baby stage go... all moms morn the end of the baby period but you should also celebrate those milestones (like getting rid of the passy and bottle) i know what you mean, i see it all the time, 3 yr old in strollers with binkies.... like that isnt a baby anymore, let him walk, take that binky.... i teach with a child development background and yes children are hurt from moms who cannot let them grow up.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• well, as a first time mom of a colicky child til he was 6 months old and then til he was 18 months cried about anything and everything all day long... I sometimes treat him like a baby cause I feel like I missed that stage completely. also, I don't mean to do it , I sometimes just look at him so much like my baby, I automatically do things I think he's too young to try.. like putting on his own jacket when in reality, he can learn to do , I still cut up his food when I should be letting him eat normal sized foods, picking him up all the time cause he asks to be picked up.. yeah, he whines and I hate it, but at this point I am so used to him crying, I notice it less. but I am trying to work on this too - sometimes I just don't realize how I am hindering his development either.. It was so hard til this point and now we just hit terrible two's instantly.. i honeslty can't wait for him to grow up a bit..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Why are some in such a rush for them to grow up? Each child moves at their own pace; don't rush them.
    Anonymous

• Oh also, you know how most kids want to do things himself, well, he's always been a king in this area. - he has NO problem "letting me" do things for him..lol! My mom has laughed about that since he was a baby!! and we still do -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Chloe is 2, still takes a pacifier at bed time, and needs help with eating certain things. I do not think there is anything wrong with that.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Why do some people want their babies to grow up too fast?

Honey, they are only babies for such a little time. Take time to enjoy this special time in their lives.

I see no problem with a 2 year old using a paci. I see no problem with a 2 year old using a bottle for bedtime and naptime. I see no problem with a mother helping her 2 year old eat sometimes. I'm sure those are habits that won't follow him to college!

When my mom was alive, and we'd be walking somewhere, she would always grab my hand when crossing the street!! And I was a grown woman at the time! She still saw me as her baby. I think it was precious.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• My sentiments exactly referring to the answer Fallaya gave! I couldn't of put it any better! Why make your child grow faster than he already is. My Son is still my baby and he just turned 3yrs. old. And if he wants to be picked up, I pick him up. and if he wants to sleep w/Dada and Mama then so be it. One day he'll be grown and outta the house! awww....i'll miss him terribly. As for now, i'm gonna enjoy the things he still depends on me to do. That's what Mom's are for! he.he.

MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2009