what kind of payment plan were you able to get on your hospital bills, and how soon did you start paying?

i'm 12 weeks pregnant and we are really having money problems now.

my son is 2 and we didn't start paying until he was many months old because we thought we could have him on the state insurance but then we couldn't. i think we paid about $100 per month for a good while. i had good insurance, so it was just for the baby bills

anyway now this baby will be on my insurance and the max i will have to pay will be $3000 but probably more like $1800. i want to do homebirth but there is no way i could afford to pay until after the baby is born so i don't know if any HB midwives can do that. i know they have bills themselves!

anyway i wanted to find out what kind of payments you all got and how soon you had to start paying. we will be better off financially once this kid is about 3-4 months old. but still could only afford to pay maybe $200/mo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh my goodness, my insurance paid everything, i didnt pay a dime.
    Anonymous

• With my oldest, we set up a payment plan right away. We paid about $200 a month to the hospital until he was around 2 years old. I can't remember what we paid to the doctor.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Our cost after insurance was only $100, so we paid using a check by phone.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• many midwives do payment plans, mine did. she even let me pay the last 500 ofter the birth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• thanks for your responses. :) amileegirl, my problem is that we cannot afford to pay anything until after the birth. which works out for hospitals but i doubt for HB midwives. i have a complicated budget plan through 2012 in excel and we have to save a certain amt each month just so we can pay the bills while i'm on maternity leave. we had to move and were paying our mortgage and rent for 5 months so that ruined us for the next 2 years. it's a big hole to climb out of.

ANON, that's awesome :) i have to pay an $800 deductible plus 10% coinsurance. too bad my insurance will not pay for HB because then it would probably be $1000 ($800+$200 (10% of $2000)). but i'm guessing it will be about $800+~$800 (10% of 8000, the 8000 being a big guess but i don't do epidurals so that helps with the cost)
    -OP
    Anonymous

• Midwives can be flexible. Explain the situation and ask!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• For my older three I only had to pay $15 for the initial visit and insurance picked up everything after that. For my 4th, our insurance now sucks and we had to pay the hospital upfront $300 the day before our planned csection. I don't know what they would have said if we had told them we couldn't pay. Knowing we were having him and would have him within that year, we didn't change the number on our withholdings but were able to claim him for taxes - which meant we got a nice refund and we used that to pay for the hospital bill (he was born in November and we filed in January, so we got the money shortly after they billed us)

Answer by missanc at 4:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• my insurance paid for everything
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 8:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2009