My oldest son seems to get scared about everything. How can I help him?

he can not take a shower with the door closed ( he will bribe his bro with toys to sit in the br with him), he will not go to the basment with out someone, he seems to wake up everynight and come in and sleep at the end of my bed.

froggymommaof3

Asked by froggymommaof3 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Has he watched a scary movie? or even something like ghost hunters? Some kids are very sensitive to those type of things. Honestly thats what it sounds like. Did he spend thenight at a friends house and maybe watch something there? when my oldest was 4 he was with one of my friends and she put the disney cartoon movie Tarzan on for the kids and the start of the movie was too much for him, when i started noticing he was scared of the dark and being alone I asked and found out he had watched the movie and it scared him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:28 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• Truthfully he will grow out of it. Leave a light on in his room. Let him leave the bathroom door open. Depend on what is down in the basement. I wouldn't make him go down their. Or just let him turn the light on.

Answer by louise2 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It could be night terrors(afraid of the dark, horrible nightmares, sleep walking, etc.)!? Get him one of those rotating fish night lamps(helped my 4), or anything of the sort that he likes(the little ones go for about $15, the bigger ones $25+). If it is night terrors he's going to need some, some therapy to find the source of it. Its not that uncommon and does not make him weird or abnormal, just another kid lashing out through these fears due to some sort of trauma(doesn't have to be anything major, it could be anything that left a bad impression on him that he didn't know how to handle so the mind is reacting through fear). It could also be hormonal, happens when they are reaching puberty. Start taking notes of the accounts(his behaviors, actions, words, etc.) and discuss it with his pcp, and go from there. Good luck, hope he finds peace soon!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2009

• It doesnt sound like night terrors, my son had them and when they have them they are not awake and have no sense of anything going on around them, you can talk to them and they wont respond, they will have open eyes but they are not asleep. They dont remember anything the next day and it does not affect their daily life.

She is saying her son has mostly daytime type fears.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2009